Submitting a doctoral thesis
The Academic Committee authorizes the thesis deposit
- The final version of the doctoral thesis (PDF file): it must include an index, an introduction and conclusions. Check here the instructions for producing and presenting the doctoral thesis in A4 format at UPF.
- Proposed external evaluators (download form): the director of the thesis must propose the names and a brief curriculum of 5 externals evaluators (from this group of experts only 2 external evaluators will be selected). These evaluators can later be members of the examining board. If you want the International Mention to appear in your doctoral diploma please check the special requirements that the thesis panel and external evaluators must meet. The external evaluators must be scholars of established reputation and expertise in the field of the thesis research. They must be from outside Pompeu Fabra University, hold a doctorate or equivalent and have no conflict of interest that could be construed to influence thesis evaluation. A conflict of interest may arise when the student or the supervisor has co-authored or otherwise carried out research in collaboration with the external examiner, or when the external examiner has a personal relationship with the student or the supervisor. Please note that Pompeu Fabra University is committed to gender equality and diversity. We strongly encourage students and professors to propose a list of candidates for the thesis panel and evaluation which ensures the principle of gender balance.
- Doctoral thesis panel proposal form (word form). For each member proposed there should be a brief justification of his or her merits for evaluation of the thesis, including a list of relevant publications on the topic.The proposed panel should include three members and two substitutes, all of whom must have a doctorate and accredited research experience. There may not be more than two members of the panel from the same university or institution. When an substitute is required, priority will be given to those members enabling the panel to consist of members of different universities and institutions.
Neither the doctoral thesis supervisor nor the tutor can be members of the appointed panel, except in cases where the thesis is presented within the framework of bilateral co-tutorship agreements with foreign universities that entertain this possibility. The proposed panel must include a report on the suitability of each of the five proposed members as regards the subject of the thesis. If the thesis supervisor does not formulate the proposal within the deadline, the Management Committee of the Doctoral School may appoint the panel in the manner provided for in this article.
- Doctoral thesis supervisor report (1-2 pages, word form).This report should describe the contents of the thesis and defend its validity for presentation before the thesis panel.
- If the thesis includes a co-authored article, each co-author must write and sign a brief report detailing his or her contribution to the article. Check the rules on co-authored articles.
We strongly recommend that supervisors check in advance that potential (1) external evaluators, (2) members of the thesis panel, and (3) substitutes may be willing to participate in the thesis defence.
The Academic Committee may accept the external evaluators and board proposals, suggest other evaluators and panel members or request a new proposal from the student.
You can check the forthcoming meetings of the Academic Committee. Please note that we need to have the documents before the meeting and preferably one week before. We cannot attend to applications received the same day of the meeting.
If the proposed external evaluators are accepted, then the thesis will be e-mailed to them asking whether the thesis:
a) can be defended without any changes
b) can be defended with minor changes
c) can be defended with major changes
d) is not of sufficient quality to be defended
Once the Academic Committee receives the reports from the external evaluators (it may take up to two months) there are four possible scenarios:
Option a) The Academic Committee authorizes the deposit and the defence.
Option b) The student must amend the thesis according to the changes proposed by the external evaluators and send a new version of the thesis with a list of the changes made to the Academic Committee. The student is also asked to submit the letter with the changes signed by the thesis supervisor. The idea is that the supervisor confirms that he/she has read and agrees with the changes made by the student in response to the external evaluators.
Option c) The student must amend the thesis according to the changes proposed by the external evaluators and send a new version with a list of the changes made to the Academic Committee. The new thesis will be sent again to the external evaluators. The student is also asked to submit the letter with the changes signed by the thesis supervisor. The idea is that the supervisor confirms that he/she has read and agrees with the changes made by the student in response to the external evaluators.
Option d) The Academic Committee sends the doctoral thesis to a third external evaluator before making a final decision.
If the third evaluation is also negative, the Academic Committee will discuss whether the student meets the necessary requirements to resubmit a new thesis and the conditions to do so (e.g. dates of resubmission). If the student does not meet these requirements, he or she will be invited to leave the PhD programme.