In order to be admitted to Political and Social Sciences PhD Programme offered by UPF, candidates must provide accreditation that they have obtained an accredited undergraduate degree (Bachelor degree or recognised equivalent degree from an accredited Higher Education Institution).
Moreover, they have to proof that they have obtained or are in position to obtain an accredited graduate/master's degree in the field of Social Sciences (equivalent to a Spanish Master Universitario/Oficial, Master's of Research...) which enables them to access a Phd programme in their home country.
In addition, applicants whose native language is not English must demonstrate English proficiency and are required to provide official score reports (level B2).
We particularly appreciate in PhD candidates’ good written expression, communication skills, and the ability to analyze.
We expect PhD candidates to have advanced knowledge in the fields of Social Sciences, Politics, International Relations, as well as some knowledge in social research methodology This training is usually attained in university and master degrees in the areas of Political Science and Administration, International Relations, and History, as well as in the fields of Sociology, Economics, Information Sciences or Law studies.
We also expect PhD candidates to have some international experience and be highly motivated to conduct three years of doctoral research.
In order to access to a doctoral programme at UPF, you need to have completed 300 ECTS credits, 60 of those have to correspond to an official graduate, research orientated master's programme.
Students holding one of the following degrees are not required to have completed a Master’s degree:
- Spanish DEA (Diploma de Estudios Avanzados) according to RD 778/1998
- Suficiencia Investigadora according to RD185/1985
- undergraduate degree of 300 ECTS credits (such as Medicine...)
- undergraduate degrees with the equivalence to MECES level 3, according to RD 697/2014
Mandatory documents to be submitted
- A photocopy of the undergraduate degree/diploma or Certification/proof of degree completion (Bachelor degree or recognised equivalent degree from an accredited Higher Education Institution).
- A photocopy of the official final undergraduate transcript.
- A photocopy of the graduate/master's degree/diploma or Certification/proof of degree completion in the field of Social Sciences.
- A photocopy of your official final graduate/master's transcript .
- A signed declaration of obtaining your graduate/master's degree before the commencement of the master's programme ( ).
- A photocopy of the provisional graduate/master's transcript.
If the diploma or the academic transcript are not written in Catalan, Spanish, English, French, Portuguese or Italian, you will also have to include the respective sworn translations into Catalan or Spanish.
Students holding a Spanish DEA (Diploma de Estudios Avanzados) according to RD 778/1998 / Suficiencia Investigadora according to RD185/1985 or an undergraduate degree of 300 ECTS credits (such as Medicine...) will not need to have completed a master's degree.
All candidates must also present the following mandatory documents:
- (2) To submit a research project in any of the research lines of the Department, using this template
- (3) Two academic recommendation letters.
- (5) Curriculum Vitae.
- (6) Identity Card or Passport.