The spreading of computers has been done together with a set of technologies that has language as a raw material or as their its main objetive. Many of these linguistic technologies are part of productive processes at all levels, and frequently a business decision such as penetrating into a maket may imply the use of software or computer parts according to the languages used in a market, and may requiere training plans, computer adaptation projects, etc.
These conditions make necessary an lab as LATEL (known before as Research Unit in Linguistic Engineering), with a staff that combines linguistic knowledge with computer abilities, and infrastructure and equipment that allow to evaluate from the covering in vocabulary of two spelling checkers to the reliability of two voice recognition systems.
- market follow-ups
- evaluations by order and on expert's opinion
- design of prototypes
- selection of candidates
- Checkers: synonymy, hyphenators, intellingent suggestions, frequent errors, style
- Translation memories / machine translation / localization systems
- Generation of translation memories and parallel texts
- Lexicographic / encyclopedia CD-ROM's
- Computer-assisted lexicography
- Search engines
- Indexation and catalogation systems
- Alphabetic conventions, linguistic typographical characters, criteria for indexing alphabetically
- Voice recognition
- Automatic sinthesis and transcription
- Multilingual document Generation
- Management/extraction of terminology, thesauros, ontologies
- Linguistics strategies in business: design and/or evaluation
- Prototypes (worstations / services / strategies)
- Tools for linguistic research: parsers, aligners, etc.
- Resources: corpora, ontologies, vocabularies, etc.
- Sociolinguistic surveys
- Desing of linguistic-based experiments
Lluís De Yzaguirre Maura