The degree in Applied Languages of the Faculty of Translation and Interpretation is aimed at students who are passionate about languages and communication between individuals and organisations in an increasingly globalised society, and especially at those interested in learning about the nature of the human capacity for speech, the characteristics of language as a communication system and the relationships between language and discourse, culture, society or technology. This was the first degree course in sign language in Spain.
The degree in Applied Languages is taught by linguists, language experts with the professional skills demanded by institutions and companies in various fields: press offices, communication departments, the editing of texts, cultural mediation, language teaching and support for software applications development, among many others.
This degree also enables a high level knowledge to be attained, on the one hand, of Catalan and Spanish and, on the other, of two additional languages  which are necessary as much for professional activities (writing, correction, editing, translation, oral expression, cultural mediation, etc.) as for the creation and use of linguistic resources (collection of linguistic data, creation of dictionaries, terminology management, computer applications, etc.). Linguistics is a professional area with a growing demand in the labour market: approximately 70% of our students find their first job in less than 3 months after completing their studies (data from the data portal of the Catalan university system, EUC 2017).
 To choose, on the one hand, between English and, on the other, German, French or Catalan sign language.
Characteristics of the course:
- Use of active learning methods: learning based on case studies, practical seminars for all subjects, collaborative work, etc.
- Importance given to practical skills learning and promoting creativity.
- Tutoring: each student has a tutor throughout the entire degree.
- Training on the use of the most advanced computer tools.
- A faculty internationally recognised for the quality of its research and teaching.
- Extensive range of extracurricular internships in companies and institutions