Designing blended learning using MOOCs
Designing blended learning using MOOCs
There are several solutions of learning designs that consider the combination between an university course and one or more MOOCs, but in general the teaching staff does not know most of them and only have the most typical in mind - such as Flipped Classroom, where students watch the lessons in video format at home and in class hours they dedicate themselves to discussing or practicing the concepts learned at home. The great variety of combinations and possibilities offered by this type of training is a new learning framework whose potential is still unknown, as it is quite innovative.The main objective of this workshop is to explore the possibilities of using MOOCs in combination with courses typically offered face-to-face. At the end of the workshop, the participants will be able to:
- To distinguish between different hybrid MOOC models.
- To reflect on which hybrid MOOC model/s can be the most appropriate for their educational practices.
- To use a learning design tool (pedagogical planner) that facilitates the design and planning of a course with the use of MOOCs.
Activities to be done during the workshop
The workshop, which is mainly “practical”, has a duration of two hours and a half divided as follows:
- Introduction about MOOCs and their use in Brick-and-Mortar courses.
- Group Activity for exploring the existing hybrid MOOC models from the literature.
- Individual Activity for using and testing an online pedagogical planner which facilitates the design and planning of a course by using MOOCs.
- Joint reflection with all participants in the workshop.
Links to tools/resources/projects
- Link to the tool which will be used during the workshop.
- Selected workshop for the UCATx conference “UCATx: com estàs UCATx?“ (May 2016)
- Related news:
- Disseny de cursos blended amb MOOC (H-MOOC) (Catalan)
- Disseny de cursos blended amb MOOCs (Catalan)
- Research articles on which the workshop is based:
- Albó, L., Hernández-Leo, D, (2016). Blended learning with MOOCs: towards supporting the learning design process. The Online, Open and Flexible Higher Education Conference 2016, Rome.
- Pérez-Sanagustín, M., Hilliger, I., Alario-Hoyos, C., Delgado Kloos, C., Rayyan, S., (2016, in press) Describing MOOC-based Hybrid initiatives: The H-MOOC Framework, eMOOCs Conference 2016, Viena.
- Delgado Kloos, C., Muñoz-Merino, P. J., Alario-Hoyos, C., Ayres, I. E., Fernández-Panadero, C. (2015). Mixing and Blending MOOC Technologies with Face-to-Face Pedagogies. IEEE Global Engineering Education Conference (EDUCON), 967-971.
Main goal: The objective of this workshop is to explore the possibilities of using Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) together with courses traditionally offered face-to-face.
Audience: Teachers in all educational levels, educational designers.
Question/s related to the workshop:
- Have you ever used MOOCs in your face-to-face courses?
- Would you like to know how you can use them?
- Do you want to know a learning design tool which facilitates the selection and integration of MOOCs in your regular course planning?
- Teaching Planning and Management Competence: Design, guide and develop content, training and evaluation activities, and other resources related to teaching and learning, so that the results are valued and related improvement proposals are elaborated.
- Innovation Competence: Create and apply new knowledge, perspectives, methodologies and resources in the different dimensions of teaching activity, aimed at improving the quality of the teaching-learning process.
- Digital competence: Use an pedagogical online learning design tool which facilitates the planning of courses.
- Be able to identify different hybrid educational models with MOOCs which can easily be used in the face-to-face courses.
- Be able to design a face-to-face course which uses MOOCs as part of their syllabus.