Monitoring xenophobic political discourses: a pilot study in Catalonia
Researchers: Ricard Zapata-Barrero and Gema Rubio-Carbonero.
Funding: This Project is funded by the Open Society Initiative for Europe (http://www.opensocietyfoundations.org/)
Summary: (all results will be in English) The purpose of this project is to construct a heuristic framework to monitor xenophobic discourses. As a pilot study it is aimed to make it reproducible in other territories. With the construction of this tool and its application the objective is to identify and counter whatever tendency of political parties of radicalising their position towards xenophobia and racism.
Combining the academic and social dimension of the project, there will be two consultative boards
a) International Academic Board: related to studies of racist and xenophobic discourse, and quantitative and qualitative analysis, immigration related.
- Mohamed-Ali Adraoui: Lecturer and researcher in Science Po. Association Graines de France.
- Jamie Bartlett. Director of the Centre for the Analysis of Social Media, Demos.
- Scott Blinder. Senior researcher, Migration Observatory Compas.
- Sebastien Chauvin: Department of Sociology. University of Amsterdam.
- Regis Dandoy: Department of Political Science. University of Zurich.
- Catherine Fieshi: Director of Counterpoint
- Dirk Jacobs: Department of Sociology. Université Libre de Bruxelles.
- Nonna Mayer Research director at CNRS/Researcher of Centre of European Studies of Science Po.
- Anna Triandafyllidou. Robert Schuman Centre for Advanced Studies, European University Institute, Florence.
- Teun A. van Dijk Department of Translation and Language Sciences. Pompeu Fabra University.
- Ruth Wodak: Department of Linguistics. Lancaster University.
b) Socio-political local board:
- Carles Campuzano. President of ACSAR and member of the parliament of CiU.
- Alba Cuevas. Director of SOS Racismo.
- Ghassan Saliba. President of CITE-CCOO in immigration
- Anna Terrón. Exsecretary of the State of immigration
- Daniel de Torres. Expert of Council Of Europe in interculturality and Excommissioner of immigration in Barcelona City Council.
- Juan de Dios Ramírez Heredia. Lawyer and journalist. President of Unión Romani y exDeputy in the congress and European parliament
- Gemma Ubasart. Vice-president of CONFAVC and responsible of social action.
Period of time: December 2012- December 2013.
- This project is a complementary action for DIVERSIDAD project, on Municipalities and immigration: interculturality and the index of Governability, funded by the Spanish Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness. Ref.: CSO2011-28885. Main Researcher: Ricard Zapata-Barrero.
(DIVERSIDAD - Municipios e inmigración: interculturalidad e índice de Gobernabilidad)
- This project is also a complementary action of the International Project ACCEPT. Main Researcher: Anna Triandafyllidou.
Events organized in the framework of the project:
- 30th,April, 2014: Qualitative Methods Research Seminars 1: Monitoring xenophobic political discourses
- 11th of February, 2014: Seminar Monitoring xenophobic political discourse