Influencing the scientific community
We are co-leading the creation of a Working Group on Gender in Science in the context of the SOMM Alliance (the network of Severo Ochoa Centers and María de Maeztu Units in Spain). The first event took place in Madrid in October 2019, where we presented the results of the first survey on Gender issues across the center.
Supporting female professionals in ICT and research:
WITsCH (Women In Technology, Science and Humanities) – former Gender and Science Journal Club. “The importance of intersectional feminism in the Academia". 18/02/2019, Time: 13.00 to 14.00, Room: 61.302-61.304 Campus del Mar. ESCI, in the context of the Bioinformatics Degree
- PRESS: "Feminismo en la Academia: suspenso en Diversidad" (Gender & Science Journal Club, eldiario.es, 08/03/2018)
- PRESS: "Cómo potenciar la participación femenina en la ciencia" (Ana Freire, El Periódico, 15/02/2018)
12/02/2018: La (in)visibilitat de la dona científica (Ana Freire).
- 30/10/2918: UPF Center of Gender Studies (Aurelio Ruiz, slides)
- 11/02/2018: Barcelona Graduate School of Maths, Intl. Day of Girls and Women in Science 2018 (Severo Ochoa Center) (Ana Freire and Helena Ramalhinho, Institut d'Estudis Catalans, Barcelona)
- PRESS: "Barreras invisibles en la educación que dificultan la promoción de las mujeres" (Helena Ramalhinho, El Economista, 08/02/2018)
- PRESS: "Yo estudio una ingeniería": las españolas que derriban los estereotipos machistas" (Júlia Carrión, Laura Pérez Mayos. Hoja de router, eldiario.es, 08/01/2018)
- PRESS: "Feminitzar les TIC: un engranatge que ha de començar a actuar en la infancia" (27/07/2017, El Crític, by Ximena Duque. Aurelio Ruiz contribution to workshop at Ideograma - Fàbrica Lehman, 21/07/2017)
- Promotion of the participation of UPF scientists in awards and events targetting female researchers. Most recent awards include Jordina Torrents (Google Techmakers 2017), Glòria Macià (TopTal STEM scholarship 2017). UPF scientists regularly take part and get scholarships for events such as Womencourage or Grace Hooper celebration.
- Gender and Technology by Civic Lab Barcelona
- We support this effort by Civic Lab Barcelona, OuiShare and Autentika to run initiatives based on Civic Tech related to the fight to reduce the digital gender gap and break the glass ceiling that makes it difficult for women in technology
- 08/11/2016: Launch of the program at MOB
- 17/01/2017: Gender & Wikipedia. UPF, Campus de la Comunicació, room 52.023. 17:00h - 21:00h. Talk by David Laniado & Viquimarató. Organised with ViquidonesUPF group.
- 11/02/2017: Girls and Technology International Day
- Women in Music Information Retrieval (WIMIR). Some highlights on this group
- Gender-related seminars and talks
- 25/10/2018: The importance of intersectional feminism in academia. Adrián Ponce, Elisa Ruiz and Irene Torres from the Gender and Science Journal Club. PhD Seminars.
- 16/11/2017: Gender and Science. Adrián Ponce, Elisa Ruiz and Irene Torres from the Gender and Science Journal Club. PhD seminars.
- 13/11/2017: Women in AI, Engineering and Computer Sciences. Dr. Verónica Dahl. PhD seminars. (Slides)
- 18/05/2017: Gender Perspective in teaching TIC subjects. Inés Sánchez de Madariaga. UPM (UPF Igualtat and CLIK training)
- 14/11/2016: Gender and Science by Gender & Science Journal CLub. PhD seminars.
- 24/10/2016: Research, RMIT and Realities. Angela Dobele. Deputy Head (Research & Innovation), School Economics and Marketing, RMIT, and creator of "Women and Research Newsletter" (abstract and details here)
- Science and Gender Journal Club
Video: Remedying the (still too) slow advancement of women. V. Valian. Dept. of Psychology - Hunter College & CUNY Graduate Center (9 May 2016)
- Slides presentation "Gender and science". Gender and Science Journal Club, Pallabi Sengupta. PhD training seminars, 04/11/2016
- Blog Women in ICT
- Participation on Campus Junior 2017 "Analysing inequalities from a feminist perspective" with a ViquidonesUPF session and presentation of gender perspective in technology and the María de Maeztu gender and ICT program.
- Events / Media
- September 2017, TELVA magazine. "Tú a medicina, yo a ingeniería" (Ana Freire, Helena Ramalhinho, Aurelio Ruiz)
- September 18th 2017 - Presentation of the María de Maeztu Gender & ICT program at Campus Gutenberg
- July 21st 2017 - Participation at "feminizing tech"
- Presentation at 7th Workshop on Public Libraries and Social Cohesion of the gender perspective in the activities at the American Space.
- Aurelio Ruiz takes part in the round table at Univ. Vic. (In)visible technology and social change. (March 9th 2017, slides)
- Emilia Gómez - Special program Longitud de Onda in Radio Clásica on women in music technology (March 8th 2017)
- Mireia Farrús participates in Academic Sexism and Women in Technology, organised by the Gender and ICT research group at UOC (7 July 2016). Check her article with JM Basart and M. Serra "New ethical challenges for today engineering and technology", Telematics and Informatics, 2015
- Ana Freire and Marie Monique Schaper participate at Webvisions Women in Design and Tech Leadership Forum (6 July 2016)