DTIC-UPF contributes to the broader strategy of the Barcelona's "American Space", inaugurated in 2016 at the public Library Ignasi Iglesias - Can Fabra. DTIC-UPF offers hands-on workshops on technological areas such as 3D printing, coding and robotics, with the aim of inspiring and equipping youth with the skills and resources to pursue studies in STEM fields. Aligned with its activities to promote the participation of girls in STEM, gender parity is guaranteed in registration. DTIC-UPF also contributes to other activities supported by the US Consulate in town.
- April 2017: Arduino & Scratch free course (exact details and registration to be announced)
- March 21st 2017 - 7th Workshop on Public Libraries and Social Cohesion, explaining activities carried out at the American Space
- March 3rd 2017 - Americana Film Festival.
In the context of the Americana Film Festival, supported by the US Consulate, Ciera Crowell will explain her research in Autism Spectrum Condition (linked to the associated MdM project) to 200 high-school students, before the film “Life Animated,” an award-winning documentary based on the inspirational life story of an autistic young man who was unable to speak as a child until he and his family discovered a unique way to communicate by immersing themselves in the world of classic Disney animated films
- November - March 2017: 20-hour free courses
Registration for 3D printing and Lego Mindstorms starts December 15th in this link (contact Ignasi Iglesias Library for any issue linked with registration. Gender parity to be guaranteed in registration)
- November 12th 2016 (Science Week): Hackathon
- 100 kids (10-14 years, keeping gender partity in registration) took part in the following workshops: Scratch & Makey Makey (Marie Monique Schaper, María Santos), 3D printing (Glòria Macià, Joan Puig), Sons de Barcelona (Phonos Foundation - Lina Bautista, Laura Llaneli), Interactive Storytelling (Ayman Moghnieh, Quim Colàs), Lego Mindstorm (Jonathan Ferrer)
- November 14th 2016 (Science Week): Youth Innovation Day. Students from Puigvert school took part in the following activities:
- Opening talks: Musich technologies (Emilia Gómez), 3D printing for social actions (Glòria Macià)
- Workshops: Scratch & Makey Makey (Marie Monique Schaper, María Santos), 3D printing (Glòria Macià, Joan Puig), Sons de Barcelona (Phonos Foundation - Lina Bautista, Laura Llaneli), Interactive Storytelling (Ayman Moghnieh, Quim Colàs), Lego Mindstorm (Jonathan Ferrer)