DTIC-UPF contributes to the broader strategy of the Barcelona's "American Space", inaugurated in 2016 at the public Library Ignasi Iglesias - Can Fabra. DTIC-UPF offers hands-on workshops on technological areas such as 3D printing, coding and robotics, with the aim of inspiring and equipping youth with the skills and resources to pursue studies in STEM fields. Aligned with its activities to promote the participation of girls in STEM, gender parity is guaranteed in registration. DTIC-UPF and the U.S. Consulate General in Barcelona also collaborate in other activities in town, both at UPF and in external events.
- July 2018. #GirlsTech Summer Camp at the American Space on digital fabrication. By Marie Monique Schaper and Laura Malinverni. Registration starts on June 6th 2018! Details
- May 8th 2018: 3D technology applied to cardiology (Óscar Cámara, Marta Núñez, Andy Olivares)
- January / March 2018: Workshops on 3D printing and Arduino (by Laura Malinverni) and Lego Mindstorms (by Beatriz Cabrero)
- July 2017: #GirlsTech Summer Camp (Barcelona and Girona). Aligned with the Gender and STEM program driven by the program, #GirlsTech arrives in Barcelona and Girona this summer after a great success in Madrid, Valencia and Santander. This is the U.S. Mission in Spain’s STEM training program addressed to girls between 9 and 12 years old, with the overall goal of promoting scientific vocations among them.
- Design for creative play. Eric Rosenbaum. Scratch Team at MIT Media Lab. Co-inventor of Makey Makey. April 25th, 10:30h. Room 55.309. Eric Rosenbaum will describe some of the works he has been working on recently, including live demos for some of them, and will establish a discussion with PhD students around the challenges in achieving sustainable social impact from research activities.
- April 2017: Arduino & Scratch free course. April 22nd and 29th 2017, American Space - Bibl. Ignasi Iglesias - Can Fabra
- March 21st 2017 - 7th Workshop on Public Libraries and Social Cohesion, explaining activities carried out at the American Space
- March 3rd 2017 - Americana Film Festival.
In the context of the Americana Film Festival, supported by the U.S. Consulate General in Barcelona, Ciera Crowell will explain her research in Autism Spectrum Condition (linked to the associated MdM project) to 200 high-school students, before the film “Life Animated,” an award-winning documentary based on the inspirational life story of an autistic young man who was unable to speak as a child until he and his family discovered a unique way to communicate by immersing themselves in the world of classic Disney animated films
- November - March 2017: 20-hour free courses
Registration for 3D printing and Lego Mindstorms starts December 15th in this link (contact Ignasi Iglesias Library for any issue linked with registration. Gender parity to be guaranteed in registration)
- November 12th 2016 (Science Week): Hackathon
- 100 kids (10-14 years, keeping gender partity in registration) took part in the following workshops: Scratch & Makey Makey (Marie Monique Schaper, María Santos), 3D printing (Glòria Macià, Joan Puig), Sons de Barcelona (Phonos Foundation - Lina Bautista, Laura Llaneli), Interactive Storytelling (Ayman Moghnieh, Quim Colàs), Lego Mindstorm (Jonathan Ferrer)
- November 14th 2016 (Science Week): Youth Innovation Day. Students from Puigvert school took part in the following activities:
- Opening talks: Musich technologies (Emilia Gómez), 3D printing for social actions (Glòria Macià)
- Workshops: Scratch & Makey Makey (Marie Monique Schaper, María Santos), 3D printing (Glòria Macià, Joan Puig), Sons de Barcelona (Phonos Foundation - Lina Bautista, Laura Llaneli), Interactive Storytelling (Ayman Moghnieh, Quim Colàs), Lego Mindstorm (Jonathan Ferrer)