Back The MTG opens four funded PhD positions
The MTG opens four funded PhD positions
Supervisors: Frederic Font, Dmitry Bogdanov and Xavier Serra
Application deadline: March 19th 2023
Starting date of PhD: October 2023
Each PhD will focus in one of the following topics:
- Computational analysis of sound events: classification and characterization of sound effects. In the context of the projects we carry out around the Freesound website. *
- Music classification and music representation learning. In the context of the projects we carry out to develop new deep learning models for our Essentia software library and tools.
- Music performance analysis: automatic performance assessment. In the context of our MusicCritic tools and our research on supporting music education.
- Computational musicology: style specific music analysis. In the context of the CompMusic project and the music traditions included in the Dunya platform.
The Music Technology Group (MTG) of the Universitat Pompeu Fabra in Barcelona, part of its Department of Information and Communication Technologies, carries out research on topics such as audio signal processing, music information retrieval, musical interfaces, and computational musicology. The MTG wants to contribute to the improvement of the information and communication technologies related to sound and music, carrying out competitive research at the international level and at the same time transferring its results to society. To that goal, and guided by our values, the MTG aims at finding a balance between basic and applied research while promoting interdisciplinary approaches that incorporate knowledge and methodologies from both scientific/technological and humanistic/artistic disciplines.
The successful candidates will enroll in the PhD program of the Department of Information and Communication Technologies of the UPF. Practical and administrative information about the PhD program, including admission requirements, are available here: https://www.upf.edu/web/etic/admission.
We are looking for candidates with the following profile:
Completed, or soon to be completed, master studies in Computer Science, Electronic Engineering, or Music/Audio Technology.
Research experience in the Phd topic being applied for.
Experience in machine learning and audio signal processing.
Solid background programming in Python and C/C++. Web development skills are highly desirable.
Musical training (any of performance, production, composition or theory).
Fluency in English (written and spoken).
Ability of working in interdisciplinary teams and multicultural environments.
Passionate about research and sharing the MTG’s values.
MTG’s commitment to our diverse and inclusive community is embedded in our student admissions processes. We particularly welcome applications from women and under-represented groups, and from applicants in all stages of life.
Interested people should send their CV, a motivation letter, and a first draft of a thesis proposal detailing a possible research plan related to one of the proposed research topics, to [email protected].
* Position 1 may be co-funded by the PhD fellowship program of the the Department of Information and Communication Technologies at Universitat Pompeu Fabra (DTIC-UPF), and the María de Maeztu Strategic Research Program at DTIC-UPF on Artificial and Natural Intelligence for ICT and beyond ( Spanish State Research Agency, CEX2021-001195-M