As a result of its research excellence, the Department was recognised as a “María de Maeztu” Unit of Excellence in 2014, and again in 2018. This research is led by the experimental and health sciences department, which includes 35 research groups divided into eight distinct programmes:
- Cell and Molecular Biology
- Molecular Medicine Programme
- Evolutionary Biology and Complex Systems
- Biomedical Informatics
- Genetics and Neurosciences
- Systems Bioengineering
- Cross-disciplinary Programme: Public Health and Education in Health Sciences
The number of publications has increased to a total of more than 1,000 in the last 5 years, with most papers being published in top-quartile (Q1) journals.
The Faculty’s international external advisory board enables continuous assessment of the scientific output. External funding comes from competitive sources and research contracts with both Spanish and international industry and amounts to more than 10 million euros per year.
The Faculty has made a big effort to establish important strategic alliances with several UPF-affiliated research institutes, such as:
- Centre for Research in Environmental Epidemiology (CREAL)
- Centre for Genomic Regulation (CRG)
- Hospital del Mar Medical Research Institute (IMIM)
- Pasqual Maragall Foundation (FPM)
These alliances have increased the critical mass of scientists in several fields of research, with some Faculty members conducting their research at these partner institutes.