Welcome by the Coordinator of the PhD Programme in Biomedicine, Rubén Vicente García
The PhD Programme in Biomedicine is the PhD programme of the Department of Medicine and Life Sciences (Departament de Medicina i Ciències de la Vida) at the Universitat Pompeu Fabra. This programme forms part of the UPF Doctoral School and provides graduate students a training framework to develop a research project and complete a doctoral thesis in the fields of health and life sciences that allows them to become scientists.
The UPF-MELIS centre, in which this doctoral programme is developed, is located at the Barcelona Biomedical Research Park (Parc de Recerca Biomèdica de Barcelona - PRBB) and includes a large number of research groups organized into the following research lines:
- Cell and Molecular Biology
- Molecular Medicine
- Evolutionary Biology and Complex Systems
- Biomedical Informatics
- Genetics and Neurosciences
- Systems Bioengineering
- Public Health and Education in Health Sciences
- Clinical and Translational Research
We welcome graduate students from natural and medical sciences such as Biology, Physics, Medicine or Biochemistry, as well as from quantitative sciences such as Mathematics, Statistics or Computer Science.
Our doctoral programme carries out all of its activities in English and every year attracts a large number of students from abroad. These activities aim at preparing students to become independent researchers pursuing a scientific career.
Since the academic year 2012-13, the PhD Programme in Biomedicine follows the latest regulations for doctoral studies in Spain, the so-called Royal Decree (RD) 99/2011, which were introduced to comply with the guidelines and recommendations of the European Higher Education Area (EHEA) on doctoral studies.
The contents of this doctoral programme have been verified by the Catalan Agency for Quality Assessment and Accreditation (AQU Catalonia) with a qualificaton "Quality Label towards Excellence".
- Apply scientific methodology to test hypotheses in the biomedical field
- Present the objectives, development and results of biomedical research to a specialized or general audience
- Understand the management process of biomedical projects and international teams
- Evaluate the feasibility of a biomedical research project
- Anticipate the ethical implications of a biomedical research project
Please consult the following link for information on the applicant's profile.