Back New Chair on Artificial Intelligence and Music at the UPF, a collaboration between the MTG and BMAT
New Chair on Artificial Intelligence and Music at the UPF, a collaboration between the MTG and BMAT
National initiative co-funded by Spain’s Ministry of Economic Affairs and Digital Transformation and the company BMAT
The UPF-BMAT Chair on Artificial Intelligence and Music is an initiative of the Music Technology Group (MTG) in collaboration with the company BMAT, a company specializing in music technology. The Chair has an initial budget of 1.2 million euros for activities during the first 4 years.
The Ministry of Economic Affairs and Digital Transformation of Spain announced at the end of January the provisional resolution of the ENIA (National Artificial Intelligence Strategy) Chairs program, in which UPF-BMAT Chair has been selected as one of the 15 national chairs on AI and different relevant topics such as ethics, health, sustainable development, green algorithms or arts and music.
The Chair involves researchers and staff from both the MTG and BMAT, establishing collaborations with institutions and experts in the music sector throughout Spain, and its primary objective is to assist the music sector in harnessing the potential of AI by developing practical applications and training professionals capable of leading the transformation and renewal of the music industry in Spain. The Chair will be a valuable tool for identifying and capitalizing on opportunities presented by AI technologies in music creation, production, distribution, protection, licensing and education. Furthermore, it will help educate society, music consumers and music industry stakeholders about the possibilities and limitations of AI so that they can effectively use and benefit from these technologies.
The Chair will undertake the following activities within the music sector:
- Doctoral, master's, and continuous education in AI and music. It will train future professionals and assist active professionals in updating their knowledge in AI-related topics.
- Fundamental research in AI methodologies for music creation, production, distribution, protection, licensing and education. The Chair will conduct research with academic and industrial impact, collaborating with sector stakeholders to address their needs. Emphasizing an open science culture, research will focus on interpretability, transparency, diversity, and accessibility of developed AI methodologies and systems.
- Applied research, developing software, datasets, and prototypes beneficial to the sector. The Chair will create advanced and industrially scalable technologies, promoting open innovation by facilitating public-private collaboration and collaboration among different sector agents.
- Dissemination of AI and music research, both conducted by the Chair and internationally. It will create open content available on the Chair's website and promote AI and music topics through social media. The Chair will maintain an open dialogue with the sector and the public on ethical issues arising from the use of AI methodologies in music.
- Technological transfer of obtained results. The Chair will help the Spanish music sector incorporate AI technologies into its processes, promoting the transfer of AI technologies through contracts with companies, technology licenses, technology consulting, and the creation of spin-offs and start-ups.
The objectives of the Chair align with those of the National Artificial Intelligence Strategy (ENIA). The planned activities fall within the first 4 strategic axes defined in ENIA: (1) Promoting scientific research, technological development, and innovation in AI, (2) Fostering the development of digital capabilities, enhancing national talent, and attracting global talent, (3) Developing data platforms and technological infrastructures supporting AI, and (4) Integrating AI into value chains to transform the economic fabric.
BMAT is a music innovation company with a mission to index all music usage and ownership data. They help all different companies in the music industry better their data operations to make sure artists get paid for their plays. Every day BMAT delivers 27 billion matches and 80 million identifications to CMOs, publishers, record labels, broadcasters, and DSPs globally.
Driven by machine learning and copyright expertise, BMAT’s Music Operating System pumps neutral data and authoritative knowledge to everyone along the chain. Everyone who makes or uses music can plug in to ease operations, increase earnings, and get in sync with everyone else.
Proyecto financiado por la Secretaría de Estado de Digitalización e Inteligencia Artificial, y la Unión Europea-Next Generation EU