We have two separate areas to conduct research:
The Brain cluster comprises 37 computer nodes and 1 login node. From July 2018 have been added 13 new nodes, one of them with capacity for GPUs, and one new frontend node.
Each one of the new nodes has two 2,1 Ghz Intel Xeon E5-2684 16-core processors with 256 GB of RAM, and 1TB of local disk storage.
The last 24 nodes has two 2-GHz Intel Xeon E5 2650 8-Core processors with 32 GB of RAM, and 300 GB of local disk storage.
Furthermore, each node has access to a network file system, providing more than 25 TB of disk storage with an automatic backup system for the main partitions.
All the machines in the cluster are interconnected by a high-speed network with an load balance system at 10GB of speed
Behavioral laboratory (CBCLaB)
The Neurosience Laboratories are located on the -1 floor of the Mercè Rodoreda building 24 on UPF's Ciutadella Campus (how to get there). They are distributed in 15 rooms of different sizes, a reception area and a small workshop that together occupy about 120m2:
All the rooms have a control area where the researcher accompanies the participant at all times and, depending on the room’s characteristics, are used for different types of studies:
Rooms A, B, C and D, which have electromagnetic isolation (Faraday cage), are mainly used for electroencephalographic recordings.
Rooms O, N, M and L, larger rooms, are used for studies with children and babies.
The rest of the rooms are used for behavioral studies with adults.
All rooms have:
- Acoustic insulation of about 55dB
- Rubber flooring that favors noise damping
- Air conditioning independent from the rest of the building which we control and is installed to minimize the background noise.
- Adjustable LED lighting, and
- Isolated communication network that allows communication between machines without external influence
We can apply different techniques in this research space:
- Event-related potential (ERP) recording
- Transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS)
- Eye tracking
- Vibrotactile studies