The Teaching Quality and Innovation Support Units are structures that give support to both innovations initiated by members of the teaching staff, and the quality of education in each UPF centre; in our particular case, the Polytechnic School.
We could define our mission in general terms as an effort to monitor the activities with this purpose (innovation in education and other processes that promote the improvement of teaching-learning processes within the School) in such a way as to optimize their development. In each case we offer support and orientation. Another of our objectives is to design – within the USQUID itself – mechanisms of quality management, such as the planning and development of initiatives for innovation that maximize the quality of education offered at the Polytechnic School.
Finally, it should be added that the push for pedagogical renewal and the promotion of ever continuing improvement are key elements of our philosophy. For this reason, our functions are derived from the relation between these activities, along with others that arise out of the everyday experience at the School/DTIC such as:
- Studies to inform school decisions, accreditation of programs, etc.
- Foster discussion about teaching quality and innovation in our school/department context
- Institutional (school) teaching quality & innovation projects (funded by UPF, Ministry of Education … )
- Support to professors in teaching innovation initiatives, to new professors / teaching assistants in (basic) aspects of teaching organization and tools, …
- Mediate joint actions/suggestions with/to the university centre for learning innovation (now CLIK) (e.g., regarding teacher training), other USQUIDs, CRAI/LaFactoria, eLearning, …
- Support to students requesting pedagogical advice, development of transversal skills
- Coordination of informal learning opportunities for our students (via Hacklab)
- Dissemination (teaching innovation conferences, website)