JOB OPENING at UPF: Researcher
JOB OPENING at UPF: Researcher
JOB OPENING at Universitat Pompeu Fabra (Barcelona): Researcher
We are currently inviting applications for one full-time position in linguistic research in survey methodology at the Research and Expertise Centre for Survey Methodology (RECSM) and the Department of Translation and Language Sciences (DTLS) both based at the Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF), Barcelona, Spain.
RECSM is a multidisciplinary centre focusing on research in Survey methodology, Survey data analysis, experimental research, Political behaviour, Social demography, statistical methods for the Social Sciences, and Social-personality Psychology. RECSM offers advice and expert knowledge on survey research to academic, governmental and commercial researchers. For more information, see: https://www.upf.edu/web/survey
Research at the DTLS focuses on language and linguistic communication in various formats and contexts being computational linguistics and language engineering one of the areas of specialization. The goals in this area include understanding computational processes involved in natural language, both oral and written, implementing software applied to Natural Language Processing, and teaching Natural Language Processing, Speech Processing, Computational Linguistics and Machine Translation.
ADVANCED SURVEY QUALITY METHODS (ASQME)
The candidates will join the Advanced Survey Quality Methods (ASQME) team of RECSM and are expected to contribute to the research activity of the team linked to the projects: Social Sciences and Humanities Open Cloud (SSHOC) and the European Social Survey (ESS) ERIC.
The successful candidate is expected to demonstrate a general interest in translation technologies (corpus creation and analysis tools, CAT tools) and in survey research and an excellent level in written English.
Candidates may be recent graduates (or last-year students) of computer science, computational linguistics, translation technologies, statistics, survey methodology or similar areas.
The position is full-time. Two thirds of the time tasks are linked to the description of the work below. One third the time candidates are encouraged to pursue a Ph.D. in computational linguistics or corpus-based translation studies at the Department of Translation and Language Sciences, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona. In the first year it is also possible to combine it with the Master’s thesis in the aforementioned areas.
Familiarity with MySQL and Python, and at least basic Java is required. R and Java familiarity are a plus.
- You will work on customisation of open-source translation technologies for survey translation process research (programming task).
- You will participate in the design, creation and management of multilingual corpora of survey questions (data engineering task).
- You will work with a team of researchers and programmers, in an international environment.
- You will work on a literature review of methods/applications in translation technologies.
- You will publish the results in an international peer-review journal.
What do I need to bring with me?
- Excellent written, oral and electronic communication skills in English.
- Last year undergraduate/graduate studies of computer science, translation technologies, computational linguistics, statistics or survey methodology, or early-career researchers on the aforementioned areas.
- Familiarity with PHP, MySQL, Python, basic Java (and willingness to improve).
- Familiarity with R and Java are a plus.
- Problem solving, analytical and numerical skills.
- Ability to work with limited supervision and work rigorously.
- Ability to deliver results, meet deadlines and manage time effectively.
DATE OF APPOINTMENT
The position has no citizenship requirement. Contract type and salary depend on the degree and experience of the successful candidate. The career development plan will be agreed on after three months and/or the completion of the first task. If requirements are met the project offers the possibility for a three-year position.
Candidates should submit the following to Diana Zavala-Rojas, ([email protected]) using the subject “Job Application Researcher”: 1) a cover letter and 2) a curriculum vitae. Applications should be written in English.
We encourage applications from female candidates and members of minority groups.
Review of applications begins on January 14, 2019, and will stop as soon as the position is filled.