The Pompeu Fabra University PhD school, at the initiative of Professor Emma Rodero, has been organising since 2015 the Rin4' championship, in which doctoral students present their research orally to a non-specialised audience for 4 minutes.
The competition has four different category prizes. Furthermore, this is the third year in which the winner will have the opportunity to participate in the Catalan competition "Tesis en 4 minuts", organized by the Fundació Catalana per a la Recerca i la Innovació with the support of the Generalitat de Catalunya (Government of Catalonia). All the Catalan universities take part in this competition. The winner of the 2nd Edition of the FCRI, which took place in June 2019, was the representative of the Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
The UPF has launched several initiatives to help participants improve their oral presentation technique, including a workshop on the oral communication of scientific content and a selection of helpful resources, as listed below:
- Workshop: ‘Oral Communication of Scientific Content: Keys for Communicating Your Research Effectively’. In this workshop for doctoral students, Dr Emma Rodero explains techniques, resources and practical examples to help researchers improve their oral communication skills. The workshop consists of three sessions lasting 2.5 hours each. For more information, see the videos from the first, second and third editions.
- ‘Giving an Academic Talk’ by Jonathan Shewchuk, professor of Computer Science at University of California, Berkeley
- ‘Giving Oral Presentations’, from the book English Communication for Scientists, published by Nature
- Presentation Zen by Garr Reynolds, writer and public speaker
- TED Talks, brief talks (10-15 minutes) on current issues and topics of interest
- 3-Minute Thesis Competition Winners, videos of the winning presentations from a multi-university thesis competition held by the University of Queensland.
Roger de Llúria Building
25-27, Ramon Trias Fargas St.
(we recommend that you provide us with a phone number to contact you, if necessary)