PhD by the Universidad Autónoma de Madrid (1995) and PhD by the Ohio State University (2001). Full Professor of Political Science at the Universitat Pompeu Fabra since 2006. Chair of the Department and PhD Program coordinator for the Political and Social Sciences Department at the Universitat Pompeu Fabra from 2004-2007. Spanish National Coordinator of the European Social Survey since 2001. Prof. Torcal has authored and contributed in several books in the field, and published many articles in national and international specialized journals such as Comparative Political Studies and the British Journal of Political Science. In 1997 he was runner-up for the "Gregory M. Luebbert Prize" for the best article in comparative politics, awarded by the American Political Science Asociation (APSA). He has also been granted prizes for the best article published in 2003 and the best book published in 2006 by the Spanish Political Science Association. In 2012 he was awarded the "Edgardo Catterberg Award" for the best conference paper at the fifth WAPOR (World Association for Public Opinion Research) Latin American Congress in Bogotá, Colombia, for the paper: "A Dark side of Political Deliberation? The Media and Political Discussion Effects on Political Interest".
His latest books include "The Europeanization of National Polities? Citizenship and Support in a Post-Enlargement Union" (2012 - Oxford University Press), "Las Elecciones Europeas 2009" (2012 - Madrid: Centro de Investigaciones Sociológicas), and "La ciudadanía europea en el siglo XXI. Estudio comparado de sus actitudes, opinión pública y comportamiento políticos" (2010 - Madrid: Centro de Investigaciones Sociológicas).
His main interests include: Political Behavior, Political Culture and Political Attitudes, Social and Political Participation in New Democracies, Institutionalization of Party Systems, Mechanisms of Vote Intermediation, and Electoral Accountability.
- Universitat Pompeu Fabra - Homepage
- Department of Political and Social Sciences - Universitat Pompeu Fabra
- Research and Expertise Centre for Survey Methodology (RECSM) - Universitat Pompeu Fabra
- European Social Survey - Homepage
- European Social Survey - Spain
- European Social Survey - ESS DATA
- European Survey Research Association
- CIS - Centro de Investigaciones Sociológicas
- ESF Network on Citizenship, Involvement and Democracy
- Citizenship, Involvement and Democracy (web in Spanish)
- Providing an Infrastructure for Research on Electoral Democracy in the European Union (PIREDEU Project)
- Integrated and United? A Quest for Citizenship in an Ever Closer Europe (IntUne project)