Professor of Biology at the Pompeu Fabra University (Barcelona). Group leader in the Evolutionary Biology and Complex Systems Program in the Department of Experimental and Health Sciences (CEXS) of this University. Promoter of the Institute for Evolutionary Biology, IBE (UPF-CSIC). His research field is in different aspects on the study of the human genome variation and diversity: human population genetics, molecular evolution, comparative genomics and the interaction between human evolutionary biology and other fields, including medicine, genetic of complex diseases, statistical genetics and others. Recent research is mainly on the footprint of natural selection in the human genome and the e merging field of Evolutionary Systems Biology, with the relationship of molecular networks and adaptation in genome-wide perspective. He has published over 320 research papers, most of them since his major dedication to the study of human evolution through the genetic information (since 1992). Member of the Institut d’Estudis Catalans and a number of international organizations. Director of ICREA (Institució Catalana de Recerca i Estudis Avançats).
- Director of ICREA (Catalan Institution for Research and Advanced Studies) since 2007.
- Director of the Spanish National Genotyping Center (CeGen) funded by Genome Spain and Instituto de Salud Carlos III. 2004-2011.
- Vice-Chancellor for Research of the Pompeu Fabra University. July 1999-June 2001.
- Dean in the Faculty of Biology, Universitat Pompeu Fabra. 1998-September 1999.
- Full Professor. Department of Experimental and Health Sciences, School of Health and Life Sciences, Universitat Pompeu Fabra (Barcelona). Since November 1998.
- Full Professor (Catedrático) Faculty of Biology, University of Barcelona. 1988-1998.
- Work in Stanford University with Luca Cavalli-Sforza (1989 and 1991).
- Assistant Professor (tenure) in May 1982. University of Barcelona.
- TA and PhD student 1974-1976 and assistant Professor (contract) 1997-1982, University of Barcelona.
- Premi Europeu de Divulgació Científica Estudi General. Universitat de València and Ajuntament d’Alzira with the book “Una història biològica de l’espècie humana”, by J. Bertranpetit and C. Junyent. Ciutat d’Alzira, València, October 1997.
- Invited to the most important meetings in various disciplines, including genome studies, human origins, genetic diversity and natural selection.
- Grants from all major Catalan, Spanish, European and international funding agencies.
- Member of the board of several Catalan, Spanish and European funding agencies.
- Editor of two journals: Annals of Human Genetics and Gene.
- In 2002 received the Distinció Investigadora de la Generalitat de Catalunya (Annual award of Science of the Catalan Science Ministry).
Published more than 320 scientific papers, most after the shift to the study of genomes (1992), with 226 papers in PubMed and 258 in the ISI Web Of Science, with 8400 citations and H index of 49 (Septembre 2014).
As the most important part of the CV is the publications, a list can be seen in Pub Med (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=Bertranpetit+J) or in his personal web page.
Web of Science: http://www.researcherid.com/rid/F-8550-2012
Evolutionary Systems Biology
The Evolutionary Biology and Complex Systems Program (EBCSP)
Department of Experimental and Health Sciences
Edifici PRBB (campus del Mar)
Doctor Aiguader, 88
(+34) 93 316 08 40