Biomedical Engineer's Pledge
I solemnly declare that as a biomedical engineer:
- I will hold paramount the safety, health, and well-being of patients, research participants, coworkers, healthcare workers, and the public.
- Upholding the above, I will exercise my profession with integrity and responsibility.
- I will do my best to ensure the autonomy and dignity of patients and research participants.
- I will ensure the proper safeguarding of patient and research participant data.
- I will not discriminate on the grounds of age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disease, functional diversity, origin, racial status, religious beliefs, political affiliation, social class, or any other identity factors.
- I will not participate in patient deception or fraud against them.
- I will share my scientific and technical knowledge, and I will not use it to violate human rights.
- I will promote the replacement, reduction, and refinement of the use of animals in research.
- I will contribute to the environmental and economic sustainability of healthcare and to universal health coverage.
- I will demonstrate to my teachers, colleagues of any discipline, students, and to the society at large, the respect and gratitude that is their due.
I understand and commit myself freely and publicly to these principles.