Basic Biomedical Sciences Program
This program may be of interest to any student who is majoring in health sciences, medicine, biology, veterinary science, nursing, or any other health-related field and/or who is planning to apply to medical school after graduation. In today's globalized world, more and more students seek to include international experience in their studies. This can be achieved by working alongside faculty and students from UPF's prestigious Health and Life Sciences School.
- Anatomy and Embryology
- Cellular Biology
- Comparative Healthcare Systems
- Nutrition and Food SciencePhysiology
- Public Health
(!) All the Health-related direct enrollment courses will take place at Ciutadella Campus Mar which is about a ten-minute walk from the Ciutadella Campus (where HESP and Spanish language courses take place). Please, be aware of this when configurating your class schedules.
- Applicants should have a minimum GPA of 3.0 at their school of origin.
- The program is suitable for both students with a strong command of Spanish and intermediate speakers.
- Students with a strong command of Spanish may participate in observation activities, as long as their language and other skills enable efficient communication with others in the experiential-learning setting.
- Students with any level of Spanish may participate in the experiential-learning activities in laboratories.
- Applicants should come from a university or study-abroad provider with a study-abroad agreement with UPF.
The progam requires a full semester course load (normally 4-5 courses, equivalent to 24-30 ECTS credits). The course load is built from the following components:
1. A minimum of 2-3 courses from a selection of regular courses at the UPF School of Health and Life Sciences. The selected courses belong to various degree programs offered at UPF in the fields of biology, biotechnology, bioinformatics, health, and medical science. These are direct enrollment courses taught in English or Spanish and the list of selected elective courses can be found below.
2. An optional undergraduate research abroad project directed by UPF Faculty (6 ECTS).
Deadline for applications
Fall: May 30 | Winter and Spring: October 30
1) Elective courses
We are currently updating the course offering. The course list below is provisional.
Web Content Display
Fall 2023 (September to December)
Winter 2023(January to March)
Spring 2023 (April to June)
Web Content Display
2) Undergraduate Research Abroad Projects (6 ECTS)
(Available during 2nd and 3rd terms)
Besides meeting the general Global Health Program admission requirements, students intersted in the Research Labs must be students of Biomedical related majors.The Research Projects can last for a period of 6 months (January-June/July) or 10 months (September/June).
Check the research groups which are available to consider your proposal.
3) Optional Electives from the Barcelona Program for Interdisciplinary Studies (including Spanish Language Courses)
(Available during 1st and 2nd terms)
Students may round out their course registration with the BaPIS courses and Spanish language courses, which are offered for all levels, from beginner to proficiency, including courses for native speakers.