Universitat Pompeu Fabra's Scientific and Technical Services were created to offer support to biomedical researchers in the Biomedical Research Park of Barcelona (PRBB) They are open to other public institutions and private companies.
The UPF hosts cutting-edge core facilities offering the latest technologies in their fields.
Many of them are shared with other institutions of the PRBB, such as the CRG. Among them we have:
- The Advanced Light Microscopy Unit, ALMU, (CRG/UPF) covers the whole spectrum of advanced microscopy applications with a recent focus on super-resolution microscopy.
- The Proteomics Unit (CRG/UPF) focuses on ultimate technology mass spectrometry for hypothesis free as well as targeted proteomics. Applications include identification of proteins and posttranslational modifications, biomarker analysis, and quantitative proteomics using label free quantification, iTRAQ and SILAC.
- The Genomics Unit (UPF) contains facilities for Next-generation Sequencing, which features state-of-the-art instruments for high-throughput genetic analysis and functional genomics, as well as de novo sequencing. Recently, UPF Genomics Core Facility has acquired the NextSeq 500 Sequencing System from Illumina.The NextSeq 500 Sequencing System generates up to 120 Gb of data in less than 30 hours. This instrument is a highly flexible platform performing a broad range of applications, from targeted resequencing to RNA profiling and whole-exome or genome sequencing.
- The Flux Cytometry Unit (UPF/CRG) with its six analyzers and two sorters is one of the most comprehensive ones in Spain and the largest Becton Dickinson site in Spain.
- The Scientific Computing Core Facility (SCC) is a specialized service to support the computational needs of researchers. This service provides access to advanced computing resources and specialized software packages, as well as expert technical support and training on how to use these resources effectively. The goal of the SCC is to help researchers solve complex computational problems and accelerate their research by providing access to cutting-edge technology and expertise. The services offered include high-performance computing (HPC), data management, virtualization, among others.