> LANGUAGE: English
> DURATION: 1 academic year full time, 2 academic years part time (60 ECTS credits)
> CALENDAR: From September to June
> TIMETABLE: Monday to Friday, variable hours
> TUITION FEE: Students UE: 3,301.8 € | Non UE students: 5.239,8 €
> PLACES: 20
> COURSE TYPES: Research
> DOCTORAL STUDIES TO WHICH IT GRANTS ACCESS: Phd in Information and Communication Technologies
> MASTER'S PROGRAMME SECRETARY'S OFFICE: [email protected]
> ORGANIZATION : Department of Information and Communication Technologies
Wireless communications have played a key role in the last two decades as the main driver of innovation and economic growth in various spheres of society. The integration of wireless communications with the Internet has both revolutionized how the former are used and conditioned their development, requiring continuous technological innovation to meet the needs of both users and applications.
The Interuniversity Master in Wireless Communications draws on the research experience of both the Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya (UPC) and Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF) to offer a fresh, modern view of both current and future wireless communication technologies, addressing all those theoretical and practical aspects deemed relevant to the training of future researchers in the field.
The Master's degree in Wireless Communications has 60 ECTS, distributed in:
- Mandatory courses: 30 ECTS (6 courses)
- Elective courses: 20 ECTS (4-5 courses)
- Master thesis: 10 ECTS
Who is it for?
This master's programme is aimed at candidates with an engineering degree in the field of information and communication technologies seeking to hone their research skills in the field of wireless communications.
The master's programme aims to train the researchers and professionals that will shape the future of wireless communications and networking. Graduates of this master's programme may enrol on a doctoral programme or join research and/or development teams at companies specialized in wireless communications (mobile applications, network planning, network architecture design, communication protocols and systems, etc.), or by creating their own start-up in related fields.
Where can you work after the master? Please, just check the list of companies participating in the Mobile World Congress 2017 here. They are the best examples!!
Knowledge, skills and competences acquired (Ability to...)
- plan and carry out research and development plans.
- analyse existing wireless channel models, identifying the main features and parameters thereof, as well as the situations in which they can be used.
- analyse the main modulation/demodulation and coding techniques used in wireless communication systems, understanding the trade-offs between bit rate, power and bandwidth.
- apply the main techniques for accessing and sharing the radio spectrum available for the design of communication protocols, including radio resource planning techniques, while at the same time justifying the pros and cons of each one in terms of efficiency, flow, delay and fairness.
- model, analyse and simulate random systems using tools from discrete and continuous stochastic processes, including aspects of information theory and queuing theory, and to formulate and solve optimization problems.
- analyse how network and transport protocols work in mobile networks, with regard to both radio and fixed networks.
- evaluate the features of mobile communication systems and networks using analytical, simulation and prototyping techniques.
- dimension high-performance networks from the base station sites and access points to the requisite radio spectrum and interconnection networks.
- analyse, model and design protocol architectures, mechanisms and features for mobile networks, including the interconnection between heterogeneous networks.
- develop services and applications for mobile devices and networks, including security aspects, distributed knowledge management, and multimedia information.
- analyse, understand and apply the resulting knowledge to the mobile telecommunications sector as a whole, as well as to its key players, their relationships and their evolution, including aspects related to technological developments and the mobile communications market.
- identify and apply the research methods, techniques and resources specific to research in the field of wireless and mobile communications.
- abstract, conceptualize and communicate creative and innovative technological solutions, as well as research findings.