Sonar Festival 2014
Sonar Festival 2014
12 Jun 2014 - 14 Jun 2014
Following the tradition, the MTG is behind a bunch of interesting events at Sonar Festival in Barcelona. For this year’s edition, that will take place from June 12th to 14th at Fira de Montjuïc, the MTG organises a great number of activities in the frame of the Sonar+D section.
MTG ACTIVITIES AT A GLANCE:
Music Hack Day (MHD) – Thursday, June 12th at 9AM to 13th at 6PM (Thu to Fri)
This year’s edition presents news and some changes, here’s a little flavour of what’s happening:
- We count with the participation of 20 amazing and innovative technologies, like the kickstarter Mogees that turns daily objects into music instruments or Xth sense that allows the sonification of muscles (among others).
- The Giant Steps European project plays an important role this year, sending two challenges to hackers and carrying out user studies to better understand the creative process that participants follow for the conceptualisation of their hacks.
- Thanks to the collaboration with Made makerspace, we’re facilitating the onsite design and manufacturing of anything needed by hackers.
- Wayra, the popular startup incubator, is also putting their two cents in the MHD by helping hackers preparing the 3’ presentations.
We are really grateful to our sponsors for helping us putting this edition on: 7Digital, Deezer, GiantSteps, Kiics, MusixMatch, Native Instruments, Patchblocks, Rdio, Sendgrid, TECNIO and Universal Music.
Check out the MHD website for further details
‘MTG & FRIENDS’ stand at Market Lab – from June 12th to 14th (Thu to Sat)
Exhibition of several installations and demos of our technologies, spin-offs, students and Phonos-MTG grant:
- “Repovizz” (MTG)
- “LocoSonic” (Samplecount)
- “idRadio” by Xavier Bonfill (grant Phonos-MTG)
- “R-Control” by Rodrigo Rammsy and Javier Aránega (CDSIM students)
- “Pool of Sounds” by Verónica Vicente (CDSIM student)
- “LaserHarp” by Ivan Oechsle (CDSIM student)
- “Draw It Yourself” by Daniel Sanz (CDSIM student)
- “Virtual singers” (VoctroLabs)
- “ProtoLight” (ProtoPixel / Reactable Systems)
With the occasion of the 5th anniversary of the Music Hack Day initiative, we are also exhibiting in our stand some of the best hacks in MHD since its first edition in London 2009. The list of best hacks was carefully selected by a group of MHD veterans and experts and is as follows:
- 'CloudChamber' by Iain Butterworth & Christian Baker and sponsored by SoundCloud (London - 2011)
- 'Dj Spotify' by Yuli Levtov (Cannes - 2014)
- 'TourrentPlans' by Ben Fields (Cannes - 2012)
- 'Huesound' by Robert Kaye, Anton Stroganov and Madhavi Jagdish (San Francisco - 2011)
- 'Free(CC)it!' by Frederic Font (Barcelona - 2012)
- 'Jamming invasion' by Aimar Gonzalez, Alfonso Pardo and Javi Aranega (Barcelona - 2012)
Together with the selection of the best hacks, people visiting the MTG stand will also have the chance to try new interactive musical interfaces based on brain activity. Two of the hacks developed within the Neuro-track in last year’s MHD will be expanded both in technological and business aspects. The two selected applications are Play your Mood, a music explorer based on the users’ emotional states, and BrainLoops, a musical interface for patients with locked-in syndrome.
These projects will be technologically supported by Starlab, whereas Barcelona Activa will provide business support to the selected creators. This initiative is promoted by KiiCS, and the Observatori de Comunicació Científica (OCC) of UPF.
Further details available here.
Giant Steps panel discussion – June 12th (Thu) from 18.30 to 19.30
Sergi Jordà, Principal Investigator of the project, will chair a panel discussion about several topics related to the Giant Steps project in which will participate two experts in electronic instruments design from Native Instruments experts and two Red Bull Music Academy musicians.
Check out the GiantSteps project website for further details
Spectral Diffractions – Mies van der Rohe pavilion – June 12th to 14th (Thu to Sat)
The SMC master student Antònio Sa Pinto collaborates with the artist Edwin van der Heide in the sound installation “Spectral Diffractions”.
Further details available in the Sonar's website