Back PhD positions
The María de Maeztu Strategic Research Program supports several PhD positions to work on the different projects.
- PhD positions linked to "Ayudas para contratos predoctorales para la formación de doctores 2017” funded by the Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness. Full details
Position 1: Preventing suicide using social media. Supervisor: Ana Freire and Ricardo Baeza, in collaboration with TALN and CMTECH research groups. MdM Subproject: STOP.es: Suicide prevenTion in sOcial Platforms in Spain. Position granted to Diana Ramírez.
Position 2: Natural Language Processing methods for Music Information Retrieval. Supervisor: Xavier Serra, Horacio Saggion. MdM subproject: Music meets Natural Language Processing. Position granted to Minz Won.
Position 3: Programmable Wireless Networking Architecture for Next-Generation WLANs. Supervisor: Boris Bellalta, Anders Jonsson. MdM subproject: Wireless Networking through Learning: Searching for Optimality in Highly-dynamic and Decentralized scenarios. Position granted to
Position 4: Platform for treatment planning in electroporation based therapies. Supervisor: Miguel Ángel González Ballester, Antoni Ivorra. MdM subproject: Bio Image and Signal Analysis
- PhD positions linked to "Ayudas para contratos predoctorales para la formación de doctores 2016” funded by the Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness
- Position 1: Automatic Research Assessment. Supervisor: Horacio Saggion in collaboration with WRG research group. MdM Subproject: Mining the Knowledge of Scientific Publications. Position granted to Pablo Accuousto
- Position 2: Supporting data-informed collaborative learning design mechanisms. Supervisor: Davinia Hernández Leo, Anders Jonsson. MdM subproject: Educational Data Science. Position granted to Ishari Amarashinghe
- Position 3: Automatic Prevention of Anomalies in the IoT. Supervisor: Vanesa Daza. MdM subproject: Automatic Topology Analysis for Distributed Anomalies Prevention Systems in the IoT. Position granted to Federico Franzoni
- Position 4: Web-based Rendering and Visualisation of 2D and 3D Medical Image Data. Supervisor: Óscar Cámara, Josep Blat. MdM subproject: Bio Image and Signal Analysis. Position granted to Daniele Pezzatini
- PhD positions co-funded by the PhD Fellowship program of the Department (project PRC fellowships, MdM contributes with 700 EUR / month to the salary of the researcher)
All PhD positions available in the Department are published in the PhD area of the employment section of the web of the Department.
In 2019, DTIC-UPF has led the distribution of INPHINIT grants (6 out of the 57 awarded in Spain)
The PhD students get involved in all the activities of the PhD program in ICT from the Department. The training program during the first year specifically addresses many of the objectives of the program (gender issues, open access, reproducibility, etc) and represents a forum for the students to meet and discuss their progress among peers. Sample sessions:
April 26th 2018, 15:30h, room 55.309. PhD Research Seminar - Experiences by PhD students
- Ahmed Eladly, Biomedical Electronics Research Group, Barcelona Medical Technologies
New technology to restore movement in paralysis. Experience from the 1st year.
- Irene Vigué Guix, Multisensory Research Group, Center for Brain and Cognition
A mnemonic system based on stimulation-free neuroimaging. Starting my PhD.
- Èric Lluch, Sensing in Physiology and Biomedicine, Barcelona Medical Technologies
Meshless method for cardiac mechanics modelling. The experience in an industrial Marie Curie Program (CardiofunXion)
- Alp Öktem, Natural Language Processing Research Group
Generating punctuation in Transcribed Speech: Combining lexical and prosodic features using parallel recurrent neural networks. María de Maeztu Open Science Award 2018.
May 10th 2018, 15:30h, room 55.309. PhD Research Seminar - Experiences by PhD students (2)
- Adrià Arbués, Image Processing Group
Data Science in Sports and experience during the 1st year in the PhD program, especially about the difficulty to find data and reproduce other's experiments
- Merljin Blaauw, Music Technology Group
Singing synthesis and his motivation for doing a phd after years of industrial research projects, spinoff, etc
- Olga Slizovskaia, Music Technology Group and Image Processing Grou
Multimodal video analysis for music information retrieval. You can read part of her experience over the past 2 years in the blog of the MdM program
November 28th 2019, 15:30h, Room 55.309. Previous experience from recent / current PhD Students
In this seminar four PhD students of the department (two having defended their thesis this term, and two in their second year) will share their experiences and learnings: