This page contains sparse information for students enrolled in the Master.
For those of you who are planning to come from far far away and are looking for general information about studies at UPF and life in Barcelona, this UPF page can have useful information.
Also the DTIC has a service supporting international students. You can find information here.
For those of you who have already made up their minds and want to enroll in the Master, please visit the Master Administration page
Calendar of Classes
You will find below the most updated calendar for the planned classes.
Warning on Plagiarism
"Plagiarism can be defined as the appropriation of another person’s ideas, words, works, etc. As far as universities are concerned, the term applies to any situation in which someone appropriates something that someone else has created and fails to explicitly acknowledge its source. " (quote from the Code of Ethics, UPF).
From the Master of Brain and Cognition, we note that plagiarism is damaging to the original authors (as it is a form of misappropriation), to the reputation of the masters and the University as a whole, and it leads to unfair advantage amongst students. For these reasons, we are resolved to prevent plagiarism in essays and TFMs. Please note that plagiarism can lead to disciplinary action from the University, above and beyond any measures taken within the Master itself.
You can find more precise definitions and information about what and what is not plagiarism from these resources.
All students are expected to have done the readings before the course starts.You will find below the most updated calendar for the planned classes.
It is mandatory that all students with no strong background on programming and/or statistics do some introductory courses on these subjects before the program starts.
It is mandatory that all students with no strong background on programming do the following introductory Python course *BEFORE* the program starts: https://www.learnpython.org/ (Learn the Basics and Data Science Tutorials)
After completing this course, students must be able to pass the quiz in https://pynative.com/basic-python-quiz-for-beginners/
In the first session of the course "Data Analysis in Cognitive Neuroscience" a similar basic-Python quiz will be passed in class to confirm the basic level required to enter this course.
For basic statistics you can take this online course.
Mandatory reading for the course Early Human Cognition. Sections 1, 2, 3, 6, 10, 11 are mandatory. The other sections are optional.
Strongly Suggested Reading
It is strongly recommended that all students read:
The Student's Guide to Cognitive Neuroscience, 2nd Edition by Jamie Ward.
And from the following list, working on one of the readings is strongly recommended for those who are less familiar with cognitive neuroscience. We would add that it is even more strongly recommended to complete the reading of any one of these books which cover the basics of the statistical tests that you are most likely to need to understand for your own work (descriptive statistics, t-test, ANOVA, perhaps non-parametric analisys, possibly not necessarily regression). Please keep in mind that you need not buy the book(s). They are available in your libraries.
- Cognitive Neuroscience: The Biology of the Mind 4th Edition, by Michael S. Gazzaniga, Richard B. Ivry, George R. Mangun.
- Chapter 2 of the book MATLAB for Neuroscientists: An Introduction to Scientific Computing in MATLAB 1st Edition by Pascal Wallisch, Michael E. Lusignan, Marc D. Benayoun, Tanya I. Baker, Adam Seth Dickey, Nicholas G. Hatsopoulos. Here are the Instructions to be able to set up Matlab licenses for UPF students.
- Statistical Methods for Psychology (PSY 613 Qualitative Research and Analysis in Psychology) 8th Edition by David C. Howell.
- Statistical Methods for Psychology, International Edition 8e, David C. Howell. And the Author’s webhttps://www.uvm.edu/~dhowell/methods8/ which supports and has supplemental information for the book.
- Cengage Advantage Books: Fundamental Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences 7th Edition.