European Master in Government
The European Master in Government (EMiG) is the double degree programme offered by the Department of Political and Social Sciences of Pompeu Fabra University and the Department of Political Sciences and Administration of the University of Konstanz.
- Students spend one year at each university and write a joint Master thesis. All classes are taught in English.
- They receive a master's degree diploma from each one of them ("Master of Arts in Public Administration" from the University of Konstanz and "'Master of Research in Political Science" from Pompeu Fabra University).
- Students can start the programme either in Barcelona or in Konstanz. They should register in the University in which they want to spend the first year.
In the year spent at Pompeu Fabra University, students follow the normal programme of the Master of Research in Political Science. Most regulations and characteristics of that programme apply also to students of the European Master in Government, with the following exceptions:
Academic structure and courses
- EMiG students choose one of three fields of specialization: Political Behaviour, International Relations and European Integration, or Public Policy and Comparative Politics. They choose courses corresponding to their field of specialization, in agreement with the director of the Master's degree.
- The final master thesis is worth 30 ECTS points (compared to 20 ECTS for the Master of Research in Political Science).
- In the year spent at Pompeu Fabra, students choose their courses among those offered for the Master of Research in Political Science (the list of courses is available here).
- Students who start the EMiG programme at Pompeu Fabra University take twelve 5-ECTS courses at UPF in the first year. In the second year they move to Konstanz, where they take four courses (one 9-ECTS course and three 7-ECTS courses) plus the final Master Thesis (30 ECTS).
- Students who start the EMiG programme in Konstanz take eight courses (two 9-ECTS courses and six 7-ECTS courses) in the first year. In the second year, they move to Barcelona, where they take six 5-ECTS courses plus the final Master Thesis (30 ECTS).
- The list of courses offered by the University of Konstanz can be found on their website.
Application procedure and fees
- Students who want to apply at UPF for the European Master in Government must follow the standard application procedure for the Master of Research in Political Science. In their letter of motivation, however, they should mention explicitly that they apply for the European Master in Government.
- The tuition fees for the European Master in Government include the regular fees of the Master of Research in Political Science in the year spent at UPF. In addition, students have to pay a fee of about 300€ to cover the administrative taxes of studies in Konstanz .
Further information and contact