A Double Degree in Sociology (Liège) and Political Science (Barcelona)
All courses taught in English by the best experts in migration studies
This new Master programme provides students with a unique opportunity to combine political science and sociology approaches to immigration studies into a double degree. Students will graduate with a Master Degree in Sociology from the University of Liège and a Master Degree in Migration Studies from the Universitat Pompeu Fabra. They will spend a year in each University so that they will get a chance to observe migration and diversity dynamics in two different diverse urban contexts. The programme combines theoretical insights with practical tools and is taught by renown experts and practitioners, in an inter-disciplinary perspective. It includes courses related to the economics, law and sociology of migration.
The programme seeks to train:
- Migration experts in NGOs, foundations, development banks and agencies, and other not-for-profit organisations;
- Junior professional officers for international institutions such as the International Organisation for Migration (IOM), the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) or the International Labor Office (ILO);
- Migration and diversity managers for government, development agencies and local authorities;
- Researchers for academic institutions, think-tanks and NGOs;
- Specialised journalists and diplomats.
Students have the opportunity to follow a bilingual program (French-English) or a full English program.
Students wishing to do a bilingual program register with the University of Liège for the first year and follow classes mostly in French. They then do their second year fully in English in Barcelona. More information: https://www.fass.uliege.be/cms/c_3829497/fr/fass-double-diplomation-en-immigration-studies
Students wishing to do a full English program register with the University Pompeu Fabra for the first year and do their second year fully in English at the University of Liège.
Students starting at UPF
Students will spend a year in Barcelona (UPF) and one year in Liège (ULg). Courses are taught entirely in English and include the following:
1st year at the University Pompeu Fabra (UPF): 30 ECTS of compulsory modules + 9 ECTS of optional modules
Compulsory Modules (Module I, II and III courses are 5 ECTS)
Module I. Theory and Methodology (10 ECTS)
- The Foundations of Immigration Policies
- Sources and Tools for the Analysis of Migrations
Module II. Law and Economics (10 ECTS)
- The Legal Framework for Migrations
- Economics of Migrations
Module III. Politics and Society (10 ECTS)
- Comparative Migration Policies
- The Welfare State and Public Policies
Module IV. Optional courses (9 ECTS)*
- Administration of Immigration
- Network of Stakeholders
- Qualitative Research Methodology
- Research Tools
- The Challenges of Interculturalism (Verònica Benet)
- Immigration and Education
- The External Dimension of Immigration Policies
- Law of Asylum
- Discourse Analysis, Racism and Immigration
- Media Communication and Immigration
- Management of Religious Pluralism
*The final list of active optional courses will be announced by the beginning of the term.
The syllabi of these courses can be read on the website of the Master in Migration Studies.
Students must have completed 45 ECTS in order to access the second year of the Double Degree.
2nd year at the University of Liège (ULg): 12 ECTS to choose from the 4 speciality courses in Master of Sociology + 30 ECTS from optional courses (all courses are 6 ECTS)
Compulsory courses (12 ECTS) to choose amongst the following:
- Sociologie de l'action publique (30 h SEM)
- Sociology of contemporary identities (30 SEM)
- Sociology of migration
- Current debates in migration and ethnic studies
Optional courses (30 ECTS)
- Internship or Field Work
- Migration Transnationalism and Development
- The Law of Nationality
- Séminaire de Géopolitique de la Méditerranée Occidentale
- Arts, Ethnicity and Migration
- Introduction to Refugee and Forced Migration Studies
- Citizenship and Political Mobilization of Ethnic Minorities in the EU and the US
- Theories of Integration, Diversity and Multiculturalim
- European Immigration Policy
The Master Thesis will be written under supervision of UPF Barcelona or ULg. The second reader will automatically be someone at the other institution. The Master Thesis will be defended at and qualified by the home university of the student during the second year of the double master program. The counterpart university will recognise the ECTS and the qualification obtained by the student.
- A university degree of minimum 180 ECTS (Bachelor and/or Master) in a -preferably - relevant discipline, such as sociology, political science, human geography law, humanities or health sciences, or plan to graduate no later than on September 1st of the current year.
- Proof of English language ability (equivalent to level B2.2).
- Two relevant and personalized reference letters (one from a migration specialist of practitioner).
- Sufficient motivation, outlined in a personal letter (written in English).
Students pay the tuition fess at the university where they are studying. Information about tuition fees can be found on the websites of the two universities:
Pompeu Fabra University (UPF), created in 1990 by the Catalan Government, is a state-funded university inspired by the principles of freedom, democracy, justice, equality, academic independence and plurality. The MSc in Immigration Management is housed with the Department of Political and Social Sciences, but draws from the broad array of available institutional resources, reflecting a strong interdisciplinary and cross-disciplinary focus. This MSc provides a foundation upon which to engage in a high academic knowledge and research to human movements, international immigration and diversity. Students will automatically benefit from all the activities of the recognized GRITIMUPF (Interdisciplinary Research Group of Immigration) and will have the opportunity to exchange feelings and ideas with all its international researchers. Students benefit from the intercultural city of Barcelona and all its welcoming facilities from a human and social point of view. To take advantage of this new and diverse landscape, the programme will also facilitate students to generate research and policy bridges with institutes and university centres, public administrations, immigrants associations, NGOs and other stakeholders.
By offering the most diversified education in French-speaking Belgium, the University of Liège is committed to providing students with a personalized education while remaining attuned to the needs of the jobmarket. The University of Liège has an international reputation for excellence, is ideally located in the heart of Europe and possesses its own leading-edge infractructure. Liège is only an hour from Brussels and Cologne, and half an hour from Maastricht, which places it at the core of a European crossroads. Moreover, the University of Liège is resolutely turned to the future. In close contact with over 750 partner institutions throughout the world, its goal is to strengthen its position as a center of innovation and knowledge. Fully engaged in participative education, the University of Liège involves you in your own learning process and provides multiple opportunities for you to put what you learn into practice: work placements, seminars, workshops, fieldwork, etc. With its 200 master's degrees, 37% of which are offered only at ULg, the University enables you to take your education and your future into your own hands. Convinced that learning "diversity" will help students find a place in an increasingly demanding jobmarket, the University of Liège strives to remain an international university, one open to the world.
Prospective UPF students should apply online at: http://www.upf.edu/postgrau/en/acces-admissio/Application deadline: please check at: https://www.upf.edu/web/masters/calendari-de-preinscripcio
Prospective students who want to start at Liège and do year 2 in Barcelona will find all the information at: https://www.fass.uliege.be/cms/c_3829497/fr/fass-double-diplomation-en-immigration-studies
UPF: Dr. Ricard Zapata-Barrero E-mail: [email protected]
ULg: Dr. Marco Martiniello E-mail: [email protected]
Dr. Jean-Michel Lafleur E-mail: [email protected]
Universitat Pompeu Fabra: [email protected]
Université de Liège: [email protected]