BENACH DE ROVIRA, JOAN
Director of the Health Inequalities Research Group / Employment Conditions Network (GREDS-EMCONET, UPF), Co-Director of the JHU-UPF Public Policy Center, and Senior Researcher and Full Professor at the Department of Political and Social Sciences at the Pompeu Fabra University (UPF) in Barcelona (Catalonia, Spain). My academic background includes an MD, an MPH, a degree in Preventive Medicine & Public Health, a PhD in Public Health (Johns Hopkins University) and a wide-ranging background in the social sciences (e.g., History, and Methodology of Social Sciences).
My main scientific contributions include a large number of papers and publications with original analyses on the Social Determinants of Health Inequalities, including employment conditions and precarious employment, the study of health intersections between social class, geography, migration, and gender, and the development of health policy analyses and methods. I have shown my leadership in many research projects in Spain, Europe, Latin America and elsewhere (e.g., Global Projects such as the WHO Commission on Social Determinants of Health, or the European Project SOPHIE), giving numerous presentations, conferences, and workshops on the aforementioned subjects.
My research has been supported by a wide variety of government and private grants from both competitive and non-competitive sources. I have taught numerous national and international courses and seminars that have sought to challenge students and researchers to think critically when addressing emerging research topics, embracing new ideas and methods in their search for innovative public health solutions. Moreover, I have extensively developed substantial Knowledge Transfer activities that include frequent collaborations with civil society groups and institutions, including the publication of books, reports, and leaflets for general audiences, as well as numerous appearances in the media and social networks.
Public Health, Social Determinants, Health Inequalities, Employment Conditions, Social and Geographical Inequalities in Health, Complexity
Appointments and Visiting Positions
- Adjunct Associate Professor. University of Alberta (Edmonton, Canada), 2011-
- Research Associate. University of Toronto (Canada). 2008-
- Research Associate. Johns Hopkins University (Baltimore, US), 2005-
- Visiting Professor. University of Antioquia, Medellín (Colombia), 2016-
- Assistant and Associate Professor. Department of Experimental and Health Sciences. UPF, 1996-2001.
- Associate Researcher. National School of Health (Madrid, Spain), 1993-96.
- Researcher. Centre for AIDS Prevention (Barcelona, Spain), 1989-91
- Julià M, Vanroelen C, Bosmans K, Van Aerden K, Benach J (2017). Precarious Employment and Quality of Employment in Relation to Health and Well-being in Europe. Int J Health Serv. doi: 10.1177/0020731417707491
- Benach, J., Vives, A., Tarafa, G., Delclos, C., & Muntaner, C. (2016). What should we know about precarious employment and health in 2025? framing the agenda for the next decade of research. International Journal of Epidemiology, 45(1), 232-238. doi:10.1093/ije/dyv342
- Benach, J., Vives, A., Amable, M., Vanroelen, C., Tarafa, G., & Muntaner, C. (2014). Precarious employment: Understanding an emerging social determinant of health Annu Rev Public Health, 35:229-53 doi:10.1146/annurev-publhealth-032013-182500
- Benach J, Muntaner C, with Solar O, Santana V, Quinlan M and EMCONET (2013) Employment, Work, and Health inequalities: a Global Perspective. Icaria, Barcelona. ISBN: 9788498885187
- Benach J, Malmusi D, Yasui Y, Martínez JM. (2013) A new typology of policies to tackle health inequalities and scenarios of impact based on Rose's population approach. J Epidemiol Community Health;67(3):286-91.
- Benach J, Puig-Barrachina V, Vives A, Tarafa G, Muntaner C (2012). The challenge of Monitoring employment-related health inequalities. J Epidemiol Community Health. 66(12):1085-7
- Benach J, Muntaner C, Delclos C, Menéndez M, Ronquillo C. (2011) Migration and "low-skilled" workers in destination countries. PLoS Med. 8(6):e1001043.
- Benach J, Muntaner C, Chung H, Benavides FG. (2010). Immigration, employment relations, and health: Developing a research agenda. American Journal of Industrial Medicine, 53(4):338-43.
- Muntaner C, Borrell C, Mari de’l Olmo M, Chung H, Benach J, Noh S. (2009). Capitalists, Managers, Professionals and Mortality: findings from the Barcelona social class and all cause mortality longitudinal study. Scandinavian Journal of Public Health; 37(8):826-838.
- Benach J, Muntaner C. (2007) Precarious employment and health: Developing a research agenda. J Epidemiology Community Health 61 (4):276-277.
- Labor Risk Prevention, Bachelor’s degree in Labor Realations, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Health Policy. Master’s degree in Public Health, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Health and Inequality. Master’s degree in Sociology and Demography, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Health and Society. Master’s degree in Public Health, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Research Seminar. Master’s degree in Sociology and Demography, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Transdisciplinary Systems Approach to Addressing Social Determinants of Health Inequalities. Fall Institute (Universitat Pompeu Fabra – Johns Hopkins University)
- Social Determinants of Health. Universidad de Antioquía.