Admission PhD Program 2020-21:
How to apply
Applications open on October, 2020 and close on January 15th, 2021. Decisions can be expected to be communicated by late March.
Year 1:Applications open on October 1st. The first deadline is on January 15th and decisions can be expected to be communicated by late March. Applications meeting this deadline are strongly encouraged. Applications after January 15th will be considered, until the program reaches capacity.
Applications are directly managed by the Barcelona GSE.
Years 2 onwards:
The admission period runs from November 9th to January 15th. Note that this is the only application period to the program, and that it is shorter than the general UPF ones.
Be advised that the Admissions Commitee will not consider an application until all materials (reference letters included) have been received and the application fees have been paid.
No documents will be considered if received after the deadline (January 15).
Final decisions will be communicated via email by the end of March.
All applications must be made through the online UPF plattform.
Please, do not upload writting samples, it is not possible to read them due to the high number of applications.
Given that applicant fulfils the eligibility requirements, the recommended applicant’s profile to join the PhD Programme in Economics, Finance and Management is as follows:
Students for Economics and Finance will have received a thorough grounding in economics (macro-, micro-, and econometrics) and finance (if appropriate). He/she will be comfortable in dealing with mathematics in research papers, be knowledgeable with respect to general methodological issues, and also have good computer skills. Management students will have received a thorough grounding in management relevant disciplines (e.g., psychology, sociology, business economics, management) and have good quantitative and computer skills. In all cases, students should be entrepreneurial with respect to research. Command of written and spoken English is essential.
Mandatory documents for candidates
- A copy of your final official undergraduate academic transcript, showing courses taken and grades obtained. If the diploma or transcript are not in Catalan, English, French, Italian, Portuguese, or Spanish, you will need to provide a sworn translation into Catalan, English, or Spanish.
- If you have finished graduate studies or are currently undergoing a master's degree when you submit your application, a copy of the final or provisional graduate academic transcript, showing courses taken and grades obtained. If the transcript is not in Catalan, English, French, Italian, Portuguese, or Spanish, you will need to provide a sworn translation into Catalan, English, or Spanish.
- A candidate's motivation letter: Why a PhD? Why at the UPF?
- Research Proposal: A short, concise statement of issues of interest, including importance, history, and the candidate's approach. This must be written in English.
- Two academic reference letters: Letters must be directly uploaded by academic or professional referees. You will be asked to provide the institutional email address of each refeee, and they will receive an email with a link to submit their letter.
- Proof of knowledge of the English language: This requirement can be waived if English is the candidate is a native speaker and/or if English was the language used in obtaining the undergraduate or master's degree.
- Spanish DNI or foreign ID or Passport
- Application fees: € 30.21