Research Ethics and Personal Data Protection
What are the goals of the training?
- Understand why ethics is important in research with humans and identify its basic principles
- Become familiar with the European and Spanish legislation about personal data protection
- Find out about the procedure to apply for ethics review at UPF
The course is structured in three blocks, each of which focuses on one of these three goals.
Who is the course for?
The course is for UPF teaching and research staff members, master and PhD students, and research support staff members.
When can I do it and how long will it take?
The training will be available throughout the 2020-2021 academic year. The estimated time to complete the course is 3.5 hours. The course comprises several modules that take between 15 and 45 minutes each to complete.
Will I get a certificate?
You will obtain two certificates: one automatically generated by CITI (the online platform most used for training on these issues) that will list all the block 1 modules completed and another one from CIREP confirming that you completed the three blocks.
Why is it important to complete the course?
- Taking into account the basic ethics principles and complying with personal data protection regulations in order to protect humans participating in research is crucial to ensure responsible and high-quality research.
- Changes in research methods (big data, new technologies) pose new challenges and dilemmas to researchers, who should be able to demonstrate their competence in personal data protection and human subjects research ethics to funding agencies, scientific journals, and the community at large.
How can I access the course?
Through Aula Global.
You can find more information on each block here:
(3) UPF regulations