a platform for industrial-clinical-academic collaboration
CardioFunXion provides a platform for industrial-clinical-academic collaboration and will be an example of future partnerships in more efficient and auditable clinical image interpretation tools. All partners bring specific expertise: either they produce workstations (PHILIPS), use them (IDIBAPS, CHUC) or contribute to algorithms to be incorporated into them (UPF). By organising and accelerating exchange of knowledge, experience and tools between the different actors, CardioFunXion will consolidate sustainable partnerships. The project will give early-stage researchers (ESRs) the opportunity to be exceptionally well-placed to become key future contributors to the development of advanced imaging techniques for the assessment of cardiovascular disorders, equipping them with multidisciplinary state-of-the-art skills plus awareness and experience in commercial development, contributing to European scientific and commercial capabilities in an area where technological, scientific and clinical developments are very closely linked.
Who we are?
The program is led by:
- Universitat Pompeu Fabra (PhySense Group: Sensing in Physiology and Biomedicine, Department of Information and Communication Technologies) in Barcelona
- Philip Research France, Medysis.
- The Institut de Investigacions Biomediques Agusti Pi i Sunyer (IDIBAPS) in Barcelona and the Centre Hospitalier et Universitaire de Caen are the associated clinical partner. They provide a full immersion in a clinical environment, offering the possibility to understand practical challenges behind problems they are tackling.
Jornada de Portes Obertes
Jornada de Portes Obertes
In this full day event, children, families and students of all ages visited the university to take part in the workshops in the areas of health and life sciences. CardioFunxion students prepared a visit to the cardiologist, showing the importance of image analysis in clinical practice.
On May 22nd 2017, CardioFunXion was in the "Jornada de Portes Obertes" of the "Open door day" of the Campus Universitari del Mar, UPF Barcelona.
In this full day event, children, families and students of all ages could visit the university campus and take part in the scientific dissemination activities that were prepared for them across campus. The interactive workshops consisted of explanations of applications in the areas of health and life sciences.
Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions European Industrial Doctorate CardioFunXion:Towards a novel paradigm for cardiac function announces 4 PhD fellowships starting end of 2015. PhD students will be supervised by PIs from UPF and Philips (spending 50% of the time in each), and include the collaboration with the two clinical centers involved.
Mathieu de Craene (PHILIPS)
- PhySense, DTIC, UPF: UPF is ranked as the most productive university in Spain in research outcome and attraction of funds (THE2013) and 12th worldwide among young universities (THE2014, 100 under 50). DTIC-UPF community (> 50 nationalities) conducts research in a broad range of fields created around the convergence of ICT with computing science, networks, biomedical and cognitive sciences. The active participation in international programs (leading the participation of Spanish Universities with 66 projects in FP7, including 9 prestigious ERC grants and the Human Brain Project) creates a unique environment for the development of talented researchers.
- Philips Research France: PHILIPS Research Lab in Paris is an image processing competence centre with strong focus on clinical applications. Our mission is to design innovative image enhancement/analysis algorithms and implement them in an efficient way meeting constraints of commercial products. PHILIPS was a pioneer in 3D Ultrasound, being first to introduce a matrix probe, and PHILIPS Research Medisys provided the first quantification tools for analysing cardiac function on those images.
- Institut de Investigacions Biomediques Agusti Pi i Sunyer (IDIBAPS): The research group on Cardiac Diseases at IDIBAPS envisages of a multidisciplinary approach, which includes several disciplines (cardiologists specializing in electrophysiology, cardiac imaging, radiologists, bioengineers and biologists) covering the entire spectrum of cardiovascular pathology, from basic studies to translational clinical research and therapy.
- Centre Hospitalier et Universitaire de Caen: Caen university hospital is an academic hospital that reaches regional, national and international populations. It is a regional public secondary and tertiary center for all medical and surgical activities, and is affiliated to the University of South Normandy at Caen. In the field of cardiac care, it is a secondary and tertiary center for heart failure, cardiac surgery, cardiac resynchronisation therapy and heart transplantation since 1973. Non-invasive and interventional (cath lab - electrophysiology) imaging facilities provide a large spectrum of modalities.
- INRIA Asclepios: Inria is the French National Institute for computer science and applied mathematics and promotes “scientific excellence for technology transfer and society”. The Asclepios project has three main objectives:
- Analysis of Biomedical Images with advanced geometrical, statistical, physical and functional models,
- Simulation of Physiological Systems with Computational Models built from biomedical images and other signals,
- Application of previous tools to Medicine and Biology to assist prevention, diagnosis and therapy.
Edifici Tànger (Campus de la Comunicació-Poblenou)
Phone & Fax:
Tel.: (+34) 93 542 21 73
Fax: (+34) 93 542 25 17
firstname.lastname@example.org | email@example.com