MUÑOZ LOPEZ, FRANCISCO JOSE
Personal profile in our Scientific Output Portal (PPC)
Francisco J. Muñoz was born in Talavera de la Reina, the universe's navel, in 1964. He obtained his Bachelor Degree in Biological Sciences in the Complutense University of Madrid in 1990. His doctoral thesis focused on the study of comparative immunology in vertebrates (Complutense University of Madrid, 1995), beginning during that time the approach to research in the pathophysiology of aging and the involvement of oxidative stress in this process. For his first Postdoctoral Fellowship, Dr. Muñoz studied mechanisms involved in the acceleration of vascular aging (Hospital de la Princesa, Autonomous University of Madrid). He started to investigate in the etiopathogeny of Alzheimer's disease during his second Postdoctoral Fellowship (Pontifical Catholic University of Chile, 1997-99). Since January 2000 he worked at Universitat Pompeu Fabra (Barcelona), teaching Physiology for the degrees of Human Biology and Medicine. He has also collaborated in the teaching of Pharmacology, Neurobiology and Molecular Pathology. His group has studied the role of nitro-oxidative stress in the pathophysiology of Alzheimer's disease, publishing articles and reviews in international journals. Along these years he has performed four research stays abroad as Visiting Professor at the University of Northern Texas (Fort Worth, USA, 2002), P.C. University of Chile (Santiago, Chile, 2003 and 2008) and Hokkaido University (Sapporo, Japan, 2007). Currently he is a tenured Assistant Professor of Physiology and with his group continues to push the frontiers of science.
Alzheimer, oxidative stress and oestrogens.
- 1990: Bachelor Degree in Biological Sciences, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Spain.
- 1992: Master in Biological Sciences, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Spain.
- 1995: Doctor in Biological Sciences (PhD). Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Spain.
- 1990-1995: Ph.D. student. Department of Physiology. Faculty of Biological Sciences. Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Spain.
- 1995-1996: Postdoctoral Fellow, Hospital de la Princesa, Universidad Autónoma de Madrid, Spain.
- 1997-1999: Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Neurobiology, Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile, Chile.
- 2000-present:Lecturer in Physiology, Department of Experimental and Health Sciences, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.