FERNANDEZ FERNANDEZ, JOSE MANUEL
Personal profile in our Scientific Output Portal (PPC)
Short biographical sketch
Trained in electrophysiology, pharmacology, neuroscience and physiology (Institute of Neurosciences, University of Alicante (1991-1996); Department of Pharmacology and Neuroscience, University of Dundee (UK) (1997-1998); Department of Pharmacology, University College of London (UK) (1998-2001); and DCEXS-UPF (since 2001)), José M. Fernández Fernández (h index: 24) is since 2004 Principal Investigator at the Laboratory of Molecular Physiology at the Department of Experimental and Health Sciences of the University Pompeu Fabra (UPF). His expertise covers the structure-function relationship of ion channels (including CaV2.1), channel regulation, and their role in physiology and pathological conditions (channelopathies) affecting the nervous system (rare hereditary forms of migraine, related paroxystic processes such as stroke-like episodes, and cerebellar dysfunctions), together with vascular disorders such as hypertension, ciliated epithelia and respiratory pathologies, and cancer metastasis. JMFF contributed to 17 research projects, being Principal Investigator in eight of them funded at local (1), national (5) and international (2) levels. The team is presently funded by the Spanish Ministry of Science and Innovation.
Regulation of ionic channels by G proteins and second messengers. Identification of the ionic channels involved in cell volume regulation and its relevance in epitelial physiology. Pathologies associated to alterations in ion-channel function ( channelopaties):Cystic fibrosis, Hypertension and other cardiovascular diseases. Migraine.
- 1989-1991: Internal student at the Department of Microbiology. Faculty of Biology. University of Sevilla, Spain.
- 1990-1991: Internal Student at the Department of Animal Physiology, Neuroscience Laboratory. University of Sevilla, Spain.
- 1991‑1996: Ph.D. student. Department of Pharmacology and Neuroscience Institute. Faculty of Medicine. University of Alicante, Spain.
- 1997-1998: Postdoctoral researcher, Department of Pharmacology and Neuroscience Institute, University of Dundee, Dundee, Scotland (U.K.). Funded by The Welcome Trust.
- 1998-2001: Postdoctoral researcher, Department of Pharmacology, University College London, London, U.K. Funded by The Welcome Trust.
- 2001-2004: Postdoctoral researcher. Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona, Spain. Funded by "Ministerio de Ciencia y Tecnología (Programa de incorporación de doctores y tecnólogos)".
- 2004-present:Ramón y Cajal Fellow (Funded by "Ministerio de Educación y Ciencia"). Universitat Pompeu Fabra and Parc de Recerca Biomèdica de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain.
Institutional responsibilities and teaching
José M. Fernández Fernández is Tenured Assistant Professor (Professor Agregat) since 2009 at the Department of Experimental and Health Sciences of UPF. He teaches Physiology/Neuroscience/Cell Communication at the Bachelor’s Degrees in Human Biology, Medicine and Biomedical Engineering; and at the Master Degree in Biomedical Research.
José M. Fernández Fernández is since July-2017 Vice-dean (Academic Responsible for Quality) of the Faculty of Health and Life Sciences (UPF)