BEARDSLEY, MARC YOSHIMI
Marc Beardsley is a researcher and project manager in the TIDE research group within the Department of Information and Communications Technologies (DTIC) at the University Pompeu Fabra (UPF). He received his PhD in Information and Communication Technologies (Summa Cum Laude) in 2021 from UPF.
While at UPF, Marc has created, managed, and led the investigations for a number of European projects (Illuminated, Spotlighters, Illumine) and locally funded projects (BEAM, PyramidApp: Collaborative Self-explanations). He has also contributed to the proposal writing, activities, and research of additional multidisciplinary projects.
Marc's research has been published in JCR-indexed and SJR-indexed international peer-reviewed journals (Q1) and presented at international conferences. He created ClassMood App, is co-creating the Illumine platform, and has also produced numerous Open Educational Resources (OER) from digital handbooks, open online courses, to toolkits for teacher professional development and student lessons.
Marc currently teaches and designs lessons for first year, third year, and masters students at UPF. He also oversees professional development workshops for educators and is a certified project manager (PMP) with over 10 years of industry experience – experience that includes the founding of a venture capital-funded e-commerce business and running of a customer service training company.
Looking forward, Marc strives to positively impact the lives of students and teachers through design-based research focussed on the creation and scaling of educational interventions with digital technologies. He is always eager to establish multidisciplinary and transnational collaborations to advance solutions to meaningful problems in education. His main areas of research include the Science of Learning, Learning Design, Social and Emotional Learning, Self-regulation, Ethics and Data Privacy.
- *Erasmus+ Project Illumine (2020-2023) – Helping educators use technology to design and implement Science of Learning research lessons
- *Erasmus+ Project Spotlighters (2018-2021) – Illuminating student paths to resilience with the science of stress
- *Erasmus+ Project Illuminated (2017-2020) – Illuminating Effective Teaching Strategies with the Science of Learning
- PlaCLIK 2021-2022: Developing a data-informed co-design methodology while improving a compulsory first year course
- *PlaCLIK 2019-2020: Uso de auto-explicaciones y aprendizaje colaborativo mediante una extensión de la herramienta TIC “PyramidApp”
- PlaCLIK 2019-2020: Aspectos emocionales y mejora de las condiciones para el aprendizaje con el apoyo de una adaptación de la herramienta “ClassMood”
- *UPF Planetary Welfare Initiative (2021): BEAM – Bettering Education by Advancing Mental health literacy.
- UPF Planetary Welfare Initiative (2020): BYMBOS - Breathing Dynamic Modelling for Body Mind Interaction in Students
*Projects created and managed by Marc
[Open Educational Resources]
- Digital handbook: Science of Learning Concepts for Teachers (EN, ES, GR, PT, FI)
- Open online courses: The Neuroscience of Learning For Teachers (EN, ES, GR, PT), The Science of Stress and Self-Regulation (EN, ES, GR, PT, DK)
- Toolkits for educators: Science of Learning (EN, ES, GR, PT, FI), Science of Stress & Self-regulation (available soon)
- Developed and led a three-day teach-the-teacher workshop on the Science of learning in Portugal, attended by educators from Finland, Greece, Spain, and Portugal.
- Directly led training workshops for educators in Finland, Spain, and Egypt.
- Produced classroom lessons for first year undergraduate and high school students on the science of stress, data privacy/data sharing risks, and on the science of learning.