Structure of the PhD program
The PhD program has a duration of 3 academic years, although it is possible to ask for 1 year extension.
The doctoral programme has the following training objectives:
- Systematic understanding of the scientific discipline represented by the programme and command of the skills and research methods related to this discipline.
- The ability to conceive, design, implement and adopt a substantial research process with academic rigour.
- The production of original research that extends the frontiers of knowledge of this discipline at a level which merits national or international publication.
- The ability to foster technological progress in the information society in academic and professional contexts.
At the DTIC Phd programm you will carry two types of work: formative activities and research.
Formative activities are those activities aiming to train you of as a researcher. Formative activities might not be directly related to the topic of your PhD. Typical examples of formative activities are: attendance to courses, seminars or conferences, (short or long-term) visits to other reseach labs, article reviewing,... The only compulsory formative activity is attendance to the DTIC Research Seminar.
Besides formative activities you will perform research on a topic under the supervision of your advisor. At the end of the first year, you should have produced a thesis proposal outline that will be defended in front of a committee. The objective of this examination is to evaluate a student's ability to undertake original research at the Ph.D. level. At the end of the third year, your Phd thesis should be finished. It is highly advisable, in view of this time constraints, that you try to identify as soon as possible a suitable Phd topic.
You will record all formative activities undertaken as well as research progress using a software application. Your progress will be evaluated annualy by the Postgraduate Committee. In case of failure you will be reevaluated after 6 months. Negative evaluation will force termination of Phd studies.
It is a personalized document that will include the methodology to follow, goals, means, and a planning of the thesis development. As the thesis is developed, it can also be the document that collects the research results.
This document is responsibility of the student and will be a part of the documentation of the annual evaluation.
The research plan will be completed throughout the stay of the doctoral student in the program. The Research Plan has to be reviewed and cosigned by the supervisor/tutor regularly throughout the academic year.
Personalized document where all training activities performed throughout the doctorate program are registered.
This document is responsibility of the student and will be part of the annual evaluation documentation.
The activities document will be made up by the obligatory training activities of the Doctorate Program, and for those other complementary activities of interest for the development of the thesis.
Researchers in companies in the field of the information society or academia.
Laboral Insertion ICT Doctorate Data (UPEQ-UPF): https://www.upf.edu/web/upeq/ETIC
Report evaluation of the results of laboral Insertion of Doctorals (UPEQ-UPF):
As a complement to the institutional report, the evaluation commission of the UCA ETIC center has performed a tracking of doctors (2016-2017) in the professional network LinkedIn and other similar networks, with the goal to know whether they are working and developing which functions (data collected in January 2018). From this research they highlight the following data and informations:
· From 21 doctors who presented their thesis in 2016-2017 (from the decrete object) we have obtained information from 20 which represent the 95.2% of the population. The data which appear below refer, both in number and in percentage, to the sample.
· The 20 of them are working (occupation percentage 100%), from which the 100% do it performing tasks typical of the Doctor. Therefore the percentage of the adequation work/studies would be of the 100% and the percentage of doctors of the field of the program that makes functions at doctoral level is 100%.
· We should highlight that 16 (80%) work at prestige Universities and/or research centers such as Seffield University, King’s College London or Savana Médica. As well, 4 of them (20%) remaining have (co)funded / work in the field of the private enterprise, which are in the 100% of the cases, related with technological topics (Ubeeqo, McKinsey & Company, SoundCloud, etc.).