- Program length and timetable
- Teaching Staff
- Class location
- Requisites for admission
- Important dates
- Contact information
"Teaching Certification in Catalan Sign Language: Grammar and Didactics for Teachers of LSC" constitutes a UPF-specifc degree and is geared toward deaf professors of Catalan Sign Language who are already active or are in training. The degree provides them with the necessary linguistic and grammatical competence as well as skills in the teaching of second languages applied to sign languages.
This course is taught by esteemed professionals in the field; they are specialists in grammar, didactics, and the linguistics of sign language and are motivated to provide quality training to future teachers and specialists in Catalan Sign Language. The curriculum is designed to include both classes specific to these studies as well as existing classes from the undergraduate degrees in Translation and Interpretation and Applied Languages. This facilitates an enriching combination of training experiences in the classroom.
Students of this certificate program are students of the University of Pompeu Fabra for all intents and purposes; they have a university I.D. (with all of its benefits and discounts) and access to the university's intranet. They have access to the library and all of the other services that UPF students enjoy (among other things: access to computers, culture, sports, social activities, etc.). In this way, they will be able to actively participate in student life by means of involvement in multiple activities. As students of the UPF, they will advance the UPF's sign language network even more.
The specifc degree "Teaching Certification in Catalan Sign Language. Grammar and Didactics for teachers of LSC" is worth 60 credits.*
(*One credit is equal to 25 hours of dedication to a class.)
The program lasts 4 trimesters: it begins in September 2017 and ends in December 2018. Most of the clases last only one trimester and usually are from September to December, from January to March, or from April to June. There are also three classes that last two trimesters.
Classes are held on Thursdays, Friday afternoons, and Saturday mornings. On-site sessions have a duration of 2 hours weekly.
- Delfina Aliaga (UPF)
- Xavi Álvarez (UPF)
- Gemma Barberà (UPF)
- Marta Bosch Baliarda (CEIR)
- Pepita Cedillo (CREDAC/Tres Pins)
- Santiago Frigola (UPF)
- Cristina Gelpí (UPF)
- Menchu González (Josep Pla/FESOCA)
- Noèlia Hernández (CFGS Salvador Seguí)
- Maria Josep Jarque (UB)
- Rubén Nogueira (IES Infant D. Juan Manuel)
- Josep Quer (ICREA-UPF)
- David Sánchez (CNLSE)
- Jordina Sànchez-Amat (UPF)
- Esther de los Santos (UPF)
- Alícia Sort (CERECUSOR/APANSCE)
- Saul Villameriel (BCBL)
The "Teaching Certification in Catalan Sign Language: Grammar and Didactics for teachers of LSC" is organised by the UPF's Faculty of Translation and Interpretation in collaboration with the Catalonian Federation of Deaf People (abbreviated as FESOCA in Catalan), the UPF Centre of LSC Studies, and the Catalan Sign Language Laboratory.
In order to be admitted to the certificate program, you must possess at least one of the following diplomas or certificates for deaf people.
- Previous certification requirements
- Deaf professors of Catalan Sign Language (INCANOP)
- Postgraduate degree as Professor, Consultant, and Specialist in Catalan Sign Language (Universitat de Barcelona)
- Postgraduate degree in Catalan Sign Language teaching (Universitat de Girona)
- University diplomas or training program diplomas (that can demonstrate experience in teaching activities)
- Other training certificates or professional accredidations of official status.
- Program schedule and on-site class time
- The program is only offered in its entirety. There is no option to take individual classes.
- Classes are given in one weekly, two-hour session. On-site class time is equal to 20% and out of class time is equal to 80%.
- Individual work out of class and group work with other students are both essential for the competent completion of the program.
To apply for admission, the following information must be sent to the email address [email protected] with the subject line “CANDIDATURA: Especialista docent en LSC”:
1.- Documentation needed for the application
- Candidate's CV
- Diplomas, professional certifications, or official professional accredidations
- A signed video of motivation (5 minutes or less) that highlights the candidate's motives for applying and that demonstrates a proficient level of LSC
- Photocopy of an ID or Passport
- Phone number and date of birth
The application period ends on 17/07/2017.
2.- Candidate evaluation
The course's academic commission will evaluate the candidatures. If deemed necessary, the commission can request an on-site or virtual interview with a candidate.
Evaluation of candidatures will take into account previous training, teaching experience, usage of didactic materials, participation in different sign language training activities, and motivation to participate in the program.
Admitted candidates will receive an e-mail or videomail regarding enrolment and payment.
- Information session about the course: 23/06/2017 at 11:00 am in classroom 52.201 (UPF, Roc Boronat, 138 Barcelona)
- Application and presentation of documents: 17/07/2017
- Notice of admission for admitted students: 24/07/2017
- Enrolment: 05-07/09/2017
- Payment for enrolment: 14/09/ 2017
- Start of the course: 29/09/2017